Is 60F too cold for end of primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
I had two batches fermenting excellent at 66 F for 4-5 days, but when the activity dropped off, the temp dropped down to 60 F when fermentation was finishing up. Part of the reason is because I have the Fermentation chiller in our basement, and it cools down at night. I didn't have any ice in the chiller since it was so low, and I didn't know of a way to heat it up by wiring it through the digital thermostat. I know that some threads say you should warm it up towards the end of fermentation so that yeast can finish up and get rid of any off flavors. I built the chiller to keep the yeast from getting too hot, but now it looks like I'm having the opposite problem. Both batches were 1056 yeast pitched in a 1.055 beer and a 1.068 beer, both used starters of 1.3 Liters and on a stir plate for 12 hours. Any advice on whether the yeast won't be able to clean the beer up and drop down the gravity reading to where it should be, or how to wire something to heat to the digital thermostat? Thanks guys, I love this forum:rockin:

I warm it up about one degree a day during the week and then cool it exactly like yours did on purpose. A lot of beers really benefit from a nice long rest at a bit cooler temperature than that. Let it sit for a couple weeks and bottle that sucker up.

Back