NB honey Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
Anyone brewed this extract kit? I just ordered it. Great reviews. Any tips or suggestions?

I'm just about ready to bottle my batch. I brewed it mid-February, thinking it will be ready just as temps are warming up here in Arizona. It was a super simple and straight-forward kit.

It's only my 2nd batch, but my first batch was a bit more complicated and a bigger beer. So, I'm sure this one will turn out at least as well as the first one. I'll be sure to let you know when I crack one open for a taste.

Thanks! This will be only my 3rd brew, but seems super simple. I did Dawson's Multigrain red for my first brew and I'm currently drinking it. It's really good. I'm looking forward to the Kolsch even though the warmer months are still far away for us on the north Oregon coast. Should be good by summer though! Can't wait to hear how yours turns out.

I've brewed this batch. It's a good beer, good taste. Don't expect there to be any hint of a honey taste to it though. Love NB kits.

Yeah, I kinda figured the fermented honey would help the beer become more crisp, not really add much honey flavor. That's actually what I prefer. Glad to hear of others enjoying it!

Just bottled this batch today. Took a taste before adding the priming sugar. Nice crisp flavor. Not bad, even without the carbonation.

I found this beer needs to age in bottles for quite some time. 6 months out I finally started to like it. Before the 6 month mark it taste kind of bland and odd to me. I still had 1.5 gallons in a tap a draft that's over a year old now. Should be good by now!

Well, I've had a few of these now. I gave it a solid 2 weeks in secondary, which has paid off in the form of a super clear and clean deep golden color. I had enough other beer around to help me be patient and let it sit in bottles for 4 weeks before even trying one.

Yesterday was the first pour. Mine turned out a little higher ABV than was predicted by the recipe (about 5.9% ABV). It's a good refreshing beer. Although, it has a little bit of an off flavor. Nothing too terrible, but noticeable.

As I am sipping another one, I'm wondering if that off flavor might be from the honey. Just the tiniest bit of a floral notes. So, maybe it isn't an off flavor. Maybe it's intended, but so light that it seems out of place.

If I have more thoughts as I drink more, I'll let you know.

Back