First American Barleywine - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I've made a few english barleywines, but thought id switch it up and try an american one this time. Plus I have a Pacman cake freeing up, so it seemed like a good pairing. I went at it like a really malty IIPA, but with way less late hops (too much less?). Let me know if you have any thoughts

5gal batch
OG: ~1.100, ~100 IBUs, ~15 SRM

12lbs Marris Otter
7lbs Munich 10
1lb C40

2oz Columbus @FWH
2oz Cascade @FWH
1oz Columbus @DH
1oz Cascade @DH

Pacman yeast cake

mash @151F, boil 120mins, ferment @64F

I mash and ferment lower. I shoot for like 148* and 58*, respectively. I also don't like using crystal malt in a beer that big. There's more than enough malt backbone there without the crystal.

5% crystal will add the touch of sweetness expected in this style - personally I would keep it.

I agree to mash lower, 147-148F is nice - do it for 90 minutes to make sure it gets fully converted.

Fermentation depends on the yeast you are using. If its WLP001/S-05/American Ale 64F is perfect to pitch and start at. When fermentation starts to slow raise the temp a few degrees. Don't be shy to eventually raise it all the way up to 70 (this will help to fully attenuate).

skibb said:
5% crystal will add the touch of sweetness expected in this style - personally I would keep it.

I agree to mash lower, 147-148F is nice - do it for 90 minutes to make sure it gets fully converted.

Fermentation depends on the yeast you are using. If its WLP001/S-05/American Ale 64F is perfect to pitch and start at. When fermentation starts to slow raise the temp a few degrees. Don't be shy to eventually raise it all the way up to 70 (this will help to fully attenuate).

+1

That's what I do, and I've received great feedback from judges. With American barleywines you want a firm malt backbone, but you also want a substantial hop character. When done right, it's a fabulous brew.

In regards to your recipe: I really like it, but IMO it would be beneficial to add some late boil hop additions.

great, thanks for the tips. I just didnt want it to turn into an under-hopped IIPA. I'll drop the mash a few degrees. I was trying to limit the late hop additions since this will be sitting for months, but maybe ill toss an oz or 2 in at the end.

so I never ended up brewing this, but am getting ready to finally do it this weekend. i've changed the recipe up a bit, let me know what you think.

5gal batch, 1.102 OG, 80 IBUs, 14 SRM
17# NW Pale
2# Melanoidin
1# Carastan

1.5oz Columbus @FWH
1.5oz Cascade @FWH
1oz Columbus @5
1oz Cascade @5
*dry hop in keg as needed

US-05 Cake

mash @148F, ferment @60F

Back