All Grain - Sonnenstrahl (Kölsch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP036
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 62°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 45°F
Tasting Notes
perfect beer for a hot and humid summer day
**note the non-conventional 3.5 gallon batch size **

Grist
3 lbs Pilsner malt - 51.4 %
2 lbs Pale Malt - 34.2 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 8.6 %
4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Pale - 4.3 %
1.5 oz Acidulated malt - 1.5 % (for mash pH)

Hops
8 g Magnum [13.10 %] - 60.0 min
10 g Opal [6.30 %] - 15.0 min

Yeast
Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (White Labs #WLP036) - reclaimed from altbier

Mash Schedule
Single Infusion, 151°F, Batch Sparge

kolsch_tasting.jpg

Thanks for this, hope to brew it in a week or so, I've been on a Kölsch style kick.

No Irish moss additions or anything special done to your water? That beer looks fantastically clear, I've not had a single Kölsch turn out that clear -- even after four weeks lagering.

Thanks for this, hope to brew it in a week or so, I've been on a Kölsch style kick.

No Irish moss additions or anything special done to your water? That beer looks fantastically clear, I've not had a single Kölsch turn out that clear -- even after four weeks lagering.

I use Irish moss in the boil and chill quickly to get a good cold break. I also make sure my calcium levels in the water are between 50-100ppm.

My beers still tend to have some chill haze, but extended refrigeration once bottled seems to help a lot. This photo was taken in July. The beer was brewed in the beginning of March. It was pseudo-lagered (down to the low-mid 40s only) for a few weeks then bottled, bottle-conditioned at room temp for a few weeks, and then stored cold.

Good luck with the brew. It is one the of the best beers I've made to date. Let me know how it turns out. :mug:

Back