Subbing PM two row for extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the math here? I have two pounds of two row that I want to PM in my next batch, probably using a paint strainer bag. How much extract do I sub out of the recipe to account for the PM two row?

I doubt its 1-1, right?

A pound of grain is equal to .75 lbs of LME or .6 lbs of DME. So in your case you'd remove 1.2 lbs of extract give or take a bit to account for efficiency issues.

Not even close. Also your temps may be hard to nail down correctly and you might not get the full value from the 2 row.

I would leave the recipe as-is and just add the 2 row. If you knock it out of the park, you may have a little more alcohol.

Better that than taking out DME and ending up with a weak beer.

At 70% lauter efficiency, you're looking at about 26 PPG from the two row. With a small grain bill like that though, you're likely to get a better efficiency if you hit your numbers. The DME is probably closer to 50 PPG so you're looking at about half the gravity contribution from the grain vs DME.

Not even close. Also your temps may be hard to nail down correctly and you might not get the full value from the 2 row.

I would leave the recipe as-is and just add the 2 row. If you knock it out of the park, you may have a little more alcohol.

Better that than taking out DME and ending up with a weak beer.

Thanks for this response. Doing a first PM tonight, and was worried about undershooting my gravity without proper PM technique. Sounds like the better idea is to treat it more like a steep with a bit more temp control, rather than subtracting any extract, at least at first?

In the end, oh no, i might get over 6% abv...

Thanks for the responses, im moving slowly towards AG and PM is the next stop. Ill do the recipe as is.

Thanks for this response. Doing a first PM tonight, and was worried about undershooting my gravity without proper PM technique. Sounds like the better idea is to treat it more like a steep with a bit more temp control, rather than subtracting any extract, at least at first?

In the end, oh no, i might get over 6% abv...

;) End of the world! right?

Thanks for the responses, im moving slowly towards AG and PM is the next stop. Ill do the recipe as is.

It is nice to be Ok with NO efficiency on the first few, and then see what you end up with. As you are able to predict what you get from 2 lbs of 2 row, adjust the recipe then if you want. (if for instance you HATE alcohol....;))

Latest posts

Back