Cleaning Freezer lid gaskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
So I just got a used freezer, and the thing was pretty filthy. Over the weekend I cleaned it thouroughly, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out except for the lid gasket. I'm slightly worried about it.

It had quite a bit of black mold on it. After removing the gasket from the lid, and soaking it in a bleach solution most of the gasket looks as good as new. There are a few spots though that just don't want to come off!! :mad:

Since it's been in bleach is there no reason to be concerned now, or does the gasket need to be 100% bright white?

If you think you still have some mold, go to Home Depot. In their tool rental department they have a product called "Mold Control". It works great in killing mold and keeping it from coming back.

That said, you probably won't get that gasket bright and shiny white.

I bought a freezer from CL over the weekend and it looked very clean. When I got it home I realized that it had the horrible smell of cheap cigarets. It really reeks. I scrubbed it with Oxyclean inside and out, top to bottom. I figure I've got a couple of more scrubbing to do before it leaves the garage.

My gasket is bright and shiny except for these few freckle like places where the black is being stubborn. Most of them are in the crease that squishes, but some are on the flat sealing surface. I started with Charlies soap, then used a Mr. Clean magic eraser and now have had it soaking in bleach. I'm going to look for the Mold Control product you mentioned GoodDogShelby. Thanks.

ShellyBelly, I've been thinking of using a toothbrush, but was trying to avoid it. I got my freezer on CL, and after a thourough cleaning these few places are the only thing remaining. Other than a dent and few scratches.

Back