6-yr old malt - mash test!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotPushrods

Reaction score
I see it asked all the time: "How long will uncrushed grain last?" People always chime in... "Oh a year or 2 if you keep it sealed up." I can't say I've ever seen anyone actually test this. Where on earth is this advice coming from?!?!

Well I found a few small sealed bags of 2-row from mid-late 2006. That's 6 years old folks!

Sooooo..... I milled 2 pounds (unknown maltster) 2-row at 0.035". I mashed in 1 gallon of RO water with 1.1 grams CaCl2 and 0.50 ml of 10% phosphoric acid.

Mash was held at 150*F for 45 minutes, and the pH hung around 5.5 room temp (about 5.2 @ mash).

Iodine test passed for conversion after 15 minutes.

Temp-adjusted gravity was 1.057, and I'm ASSuming 36 ppg from the 2-row, or max of 1.072. That's 79% mash efficiency, minus some losses if I were to vorlauf and actually collect.

Will this make good beer? I have no idea. It tasted sweet and smelled amazing. But hey, maybe the finished beer would taste like @$$.

I just thought I'd share, seeing as how this gets asked so often.

Eric

Will this make good beer? I have no idea. It tasted sweet and smelled amazing. But hey, maybe the finished beer would taste like @$$.

So are you gonna go the extra mile and make beer out of it? Usually if tastes and smells good, you'll make decent beer...

So are you gonna go the extra mile and make beer out of it? Usually if tastes and smells good, you'll make decent beer...

I probably should... ya know, for science! I think I have enough to make a batch. Maybe something simple and malty?

I'd rather not use any new malt, or cover it up with too many hops. I have probably 5-6 pounds of various 2-row, and about 10 oz of Carafa II. That's it for the old stock.

I don't know that it matters too much what you make as long as it's not too extreme with hops or specialty grains. You have to think real world application. I would think that making a simple amber or cream ale would be a good test. Something with a high percentage of base malt and a low to medium IBU. The reason I say this is because IMO base malt is the most likely malt type to be laying around for extended periods of time. And, it makes up the highest percentage of any grain bill. Also, it's probably the malt type that people are least likely to want to replace since there is so much of it in a recipe. Maybe do a comparison. A recipe using the old malt with new ingredients compared to the same recipe made with new base malt. Nonetheless, it's good of you to share the info.

I'll get a recipe together and let you guys know how it goes. I've got a few other things on deck coming up (beers and other plans) but maybe within the month this can happen. I'm really interested to know if it will make good beer.... seeing as how everyone always quotes 1-2 years as the shelf life of malt!

Interesting indeed. I'd like to know how it turns out since a buddy has a year and half old crushed grain kit sitting around.

somewhat useless but interesting none the less. My 250 pound stock of 2-row will be gone within 9 months. I cant see myself needing to buy much more than that.

Thanks for actually testing it, instead of the obligatory "is my grain still good" thread

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out, and in the very least it will be good to refer people to this to answer the "is my grain still good" threads

This is a good experiment. I have some uncrushed grain that is 1 1/2 years old. I think it is still good.

I believe the only way for grain to go bad would be spoilage (mold) or insect feeding. Someone that works in the grain business might know for sure. Base grains/malts are not like an herb or spice. There would be little to no volitile compounds to disperse. If your grain is stored properly (cool, dry) I think it should be OK for years.

Surely there is someone out there who works in the malt or grain business...

'6-yr old malt'

I thought you were talking about Scotch!

I've used specialty grain that was 10 years old (stopped brewing and then started years later), and didn't notice any issue. I would not use it now over concerns that it may hurt the beer and after all the effort I put in it, I don't want to risk a bad beer for a few bucks.

What's crazy is this wasn't exactly in the perfect storage. It was in sealed bags, but in the garage. It saw some pretty good temperature swings over the years, I'm sure into the 90s quite a few times. (MO, not AZ) I'm just amazed it 1) converted and 2) smelled good.

I've always believed that if you store it well, grain will last a long time. Much the same way that almonds or dried fruit will.

Did you ever do the experiment? I have about 40lbs of 4 year old 2 row. Had a second kid and brewing screeched to a halt! It was stored we'll, sealed and kept consistent temps so I'm hopeful. I might have to pick up where this thread left of.

The OP hasn’t been seen in over 3 years. His malt is now 14 years old if he didn’t use it up 8 years ago.

He should make Scotch out of it. It’s pre-aged so he could call the white whisky 14 year old Scotch. :cool:

Last edited:
I once used some Vienna malt that was one year out of date. Stored in the original Weyermann bag sealed with a zip-tie. Never again.
The mash smelled like an out-of-date yoghurt right away. One of the few dumpers I've ever had.

i just received a 50lb sack of malt my brother in law found in his basement and he hasnt brewed in at least 5 years. it is white wheat, i could pick up where he left off, i have a recipe for a hefe that i have brewed numerous times. i may not be brewing this month but likely before the end of the year. since this thread just seemed to pop back up ill give it a go and get report back the details.

I’ve used base that was 4 years old. I think what you brew with it makes a difference. I brewed Saison and Triple with mine. Both beers advanced to the NHC finals w 41 and 39. I’ve also brewed my Koelch with old base. I think specialty malts tend to fall off quicker. I always keep mine in the original bags with a zip tie. Then stored inside plastic totes. I just found half a sack of GPromise. It is way old, might use it to see.

I’ve used base that was 4 years old. I think what you brew with it makes a difference. I brewed Saison and Triple with mine. Both beers advanced to the NHC finals w 41 and 39. I’ve also brewed my Koelch with old base. I think specialty malts tend to fall off quicker. I always keep mine in the original bags with a zip tie. Then stored inside plastic totes. I just found half a sack of GPromise. It is way old, might use it to see.
i've used base malt in that same age range with no problem, but i do find that the flavor doesn't 'pop' like fresh grain.

if the grain smells nice, it's probably good to use. if it smells musty or stale so will the beer.

Here is my latest "use it up" beer I called "Old Crusty". It predominantly used materials dating back as far as 2016, stored in sealed 5-gallon food grade buckets.

I didn't have much expectations for this, but it really turned out great, along the lines of Sam Adams, Anchor Steam, or the old Stone Pale Ale (that they no longer produce), if you blended them together. Proof - Wife even likes it!
IMG_1955.JPG

Back