Transferring into a Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhart

Reaction score
I have an odd question.

I have recently moved and have not brewed in over two months. I am entertaining this weekend and was (several weeks ago) hoping to have two on tap for the gathering, drawn from my brand new two faucet draft tower.

Unfortunately, that didn't pan out and I am now stuck with either purchasing a keg (not a great option, in my opinion as most local stores don't carry anything worth a damn) or going to a local brew pub, purchasing a couple 3 gallon keggies and serving them up. However, the 3 gallon keggies apparently have their own draft system, which I am told I won't be able to make work through my draft tower.

Would it be a terrible mistake to transfer the beer from the keggies into my Corny kegs so I could serve them up proper?

Opinions appreciated!!

Thanks,
Dan

I'm not familiar with keggies, but if you can transfer, it's probably not a big deal. Did you happen to ask the brew pub if they would fill a corny?

No, I didn't even think of that...though it is a stellar idea. Probably too late now as I have the keggies waiting there for me to pick up.

Thanks!
Dan

I really haven't a clue. The brewmaster said it had a "unique system which includes a small internal CO2 reservoir which maintains CO2 pressure on the beer and also dispenses the beer. The tap that fits onto it is preset so that the beer pours with minimal beer loss.".

Not sure if that helps describe what you are thinking it might be...

Is it a square box of beer? A member of our brewclub wants to open a brewery and he found square boxes that breweries are using to sell beer in. Everything comes with it so the buyer just takes it home and starts pouring beer.

All right, so we have guesses that it could be a party pig, a box or a tap a draft.

Given those possibilities (and others), is my thought of transferring into a Corny and serving thusly way out of whack, or possible?

Cheers!
Dan

If it's a system that uses Co2 cartriges to dispense, I don't see a problem with a corny transfer.

You'd attach gas to the keg, purge all the air out with co2, hit it with about 3psi, connect the "out" of your keggie or whatever the hell it is to a disconnect on the beer out side of the keg and then slowly pull the vent on the corny until beer starts flowing in. The downside is that you'll waste a little co2 pushing the beer around.

Then again, if there's any way you can hose clamp your tower's beerlines to the "out" of this mystery mini keg, there's no reason you can't use your tower and faucets.

Back