Barleywine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Msbeer

Reaction score
Thinking about this recipe and was wondering if it will be to bitter with 4 0z Magnum hops?

5Gallon

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 6 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Pilsen (Extra) Light Dry Extract 6 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 1 lbs, 0 oz
Gambrinus Dark Munich 0 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2 Row Carapils 0 lbs, 8 oz
Magnum Pellets, GR 4 oz @ 90 mins
Williamette Pellets 1.5 oz @ 15 mins
Cascade Pellets 1 oz @ 0 mins
White Labs California Ale

Any thoughts?

I would sure think so, that's going to be something like a hypothetical 200 ibu's. Any particular reason why you were thinking of using those hops and in that amount?

depends how long you are planning on aging it for - it's not uncommon to overly hop a barleywine that will be aged for an extended period since the hop flavor and bitterness will fade with time

I would probably cut it back to 2.5-3 oz of magnum for 90 minutes. With this recipe on the low end of alcohol and maltiness for the style it shouldn't need an incredible amount of ibu's to balance but it's still a barleywine.

If you do plan to age this long enough for the bitterness to fade I would at least up the mid-late addition hops so that the hop flavor and aroma isn't fully gone by the time it's consumed.

Back