Bad brew day so far how bad is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
I started by figuring out how much strike water I need to mash a 10gal batch of oatmeal stout. 9gal I looked at my 36qt mash tun and quickly figured out that 9gal of water and almost 30lbs of grain would not fit. As I started mashing my hose in my cooler started leaking. By the time I got it dumped into another cooler. Mash run fixed and back into mash mode I was down under 140.

20 2row
1 black
2 roasted barley
1 choc
1 pale choc
1.5 80L crystal
1C molasses
2 flaked oats
4oz northern brewer
4 oz cascade
2tsp Irish moss
2 smack packs 1084

That molasses is going to help, but if you mashed at 140 you're probably in trouble. Take a gravity reading before you boil and adjust the gravity with dry or liquid malt extract if you have some. If not, then enjoy your super sweet low gravity stout.

I was able to get my mash temp up to 150 it was only in the 140's for about 10 min. Now I have less then half of my mash in a regular cooler and the rest in my mash tun. I think I am going to have to move the grain from the cooler to my tun and sparge as one.

Will a strike that is too hot about 170 that cools too much 140 it about 10-15min then brought back to 150. Make a huge impact on my finished product?

my final gravity reading was 1.070 that was at pitching time. I guess we will see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back