((og -1) / 4) + 1 = Fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
I was watching a Youtube video about Hydrometers and I was presented with a formula that specifies how you come up with the FG of a beer based on the OG. Is this formula correct? Or is this just a rule of thumb? I would assume that this would be just a rough calculation due to unfermentables that can affect the gravity. I just wanted to know what the general consensus is, or the real answer.

((OG -1) / 4) + 1 = FG?

TIA

Justin

It is just a rule of thumb. It removes 75% of the gravity points associated with the dissolved solids in your beer (i.e. sugars), because most yeast can ferment to around 75% attenuation. But your recipe, brewing process, yeast strain, and fermentation characteristics all affect this number, too.

I like his quote, but not his avatar. It scares me.:)
If you ever do find out the formula for predicting FG, I'd love to know what it is.

-a.

If you ever do find out the formula for predicting FG, I'd love to know what it is.

-a.

The answer is there is no answer, only approximations. There are too many variables. The more variables you control and the better you control them, the narrower the range.

Latest posts

Back