Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon brown recipe that I really like. I have doulbled the grain bill to make a six gallon batch and added an additional 15% of each grain because I am going to try a batch sparge.
For the 3 gallon batch the hop bill was
1oz Willamette 60 Min
1/2oz Tettnanger additional 10min
1/4oz Tettnanger flame out
1/4oz Tettnanger Dry hop
I started with 4 gallons on the boil at the end I had 3 gallons....at 1.050

Assuming that I have the same alpha acid and same gravity would you just double the hops for a 6 gallon batch? I really have no idea where my gravity is gonna be I mean I may end up with 5 gallons total at 1.050. How do I handle this? Do I need to get my kettle full figure out what my gravity is gonna be and then use the hop calculator? This is my first batch sparge so I dont know my efficency/

If you doubled the batch size, then just double the amount of hops. I couldn't tell you the difference between batch and fly sparging, as I only have fly sparged so far, but the differences are more in time than gravity.

Thats what I was thinking. I will double the hops. Its not like I am playing with high alpha hops anyway, the hopier the better

You should end up at the same gravity or very close. I've found two sparges is enough, if you stir the bed each time.

Brewsmith said:
If you doubled the batch size, then just double the amount of hops. I couldn't tell you the difference between batch and fly sparging, as I only have fly sparged so far, but the differences are more in time than gravity.

At the normal home brewer size (3-20 gallons) all you have to do is increase all the ingredients by the same amount. :mug:

Latest posts

Back