How much krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmainster

Reaction score
Alright folks, I'm 3 days in on my first homebrew and have another question...

How much krausen is typical at this point? I'm doing a 5 gallon batch, and using a 6.5 gallon carboy for my primary. I've seen photos from others with krausen foaming out the top like an erupting volcano!

The airlock has been bubbling steadily. It looks like beer and smells like beer, but I'm just wondering if the 2" of head is normal?

Here's a picture from yesterday....

photo-15.jpg

There are waaaay too many variables to say whether or not a krausen is "correct", and there really is no "correct" krausen anyways.

Krausen size depends on amount of yeast pitched, type of yeast, temperature, OG, how you did your mashing, grain bill, etc etc

think you posted a big enough pic there coryforsenate? as long as you have krausen be happy. wait 3 weeks from brew day then start checking your SG. if it hasn't changed in 3 days then your done ferementing and can bottle.

+1 on what coryforsenate says!!

Your beer looks just like most of my brews!
All of my beers have come out fine and they have all had about the same krausen activity as yours.

Give it at least two weeks in the carboy and at least two weeks(three is better) in the bottle. I am assuming you will bottle of course.

Good luck and keep on brewing!

Back