Yeast Washing - where did I go wrong? Is it salvageable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinlca

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at harvesting yeast from the fermentor. I followed instruction poured in a bunch of cool boiled water, shook it up, let it settle for a few minutes, then poured out into a large jar. I had to leave so I put that in the fridge planning to do the next washing step later. The picture below is what I ended up with. I tried shaking it up again, but still didn't notice any clear yeast/trub delineation like the examples I have seen. Did I just get all trub and hardly any yeast?

20130126_214158.jpg

looks like lots of yeast to me, probably a bit of trub but that is not a problem.

Could I just decant the liquid and pitch this whole thing into a starter without further washing?

After you add a large amount of water if you let it settle for a bit (I usually give it 10-20m minimum) you get less trub. That said, it looks like there is a slightly whiter layer near the edge of the jar there so you probably got it already. I wouldn't reopen the container yet due to risk of contamination. You can shake it up a few after settling it out which seems to help get more of the yeast on top but honestly you're probably fine already.

Back