Crazy attenuation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_stout

Reaction score
So about a month ago I brewed a 5G batch of boulevard tank 7 clone. Recipe below

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/boulevard-smokestack-series-tank-7-farmhouse-ale-clone-250256/

I used the infamous wyeast 3724 before I knew how much of a pain it was to use. No starter, just one smack pack. OG=1.075 and estimated FG=1.016. I just racked the batch to secondary to dry hop and the gravity is 1.008! Tasted nice and dry. I'm just wondering why I had such great attenuation. After I read up on 3724 I thought it would get stuck around 1.035 or would finish pretty high. Fermentation temp was around 90F pretty much the whole time. I'm not complaining or anything, just curious.

You got such good attenuation because of the high temperature at which the fermentation took place. Did it have any off flavors from being fermented so high? I know you said it was nice and dry, but that's not terribly specific.

That's pretty standard for a saison yeast. Might have even gone a little lower if you used a starter (or it might still anyway! how long has it been fermenting?)

Fermentation temp for this strain is supposed to be in the 90s (at least i think so). Nice and dry as in it was dry like a saison should be, not overly sweet. Its been fermenting for 1 month.

3724 likes it hot. I usually start out at a lower temp and slowly get it up to 90. It will usually finish very low if you give it time and temp. Last time I used it the brew went down to 1.003.

Back