Help me read my hydrometer, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russb123

Reaction score
I need help understanding my hydrometer. I hope you can see the small red line I photoshoped in, it is 2 lines below 40. This is where my original gravity was taken before I pitched my yeast when the wort was at 75 degrees. According to the recipe my original was suppose to be 1.052. Is my reading 1.044? Am I way off?
hydrometer.jpg

That line is indeed 1.044 - but your hydrometer is calibrated to be acurate at 60 degrees. Since you took your readings at 75 degrees, you need to add 3 or 4 points to that making it "around" 1.048 or so.

Dan

Yes - It is 1.044. It's a bit off but not too bad. you could add a bit of DME to boost the gravity.

Looks like 1.044 to me. Was 1.044 at the top or bottom of the meniscus? And what was the temperature of your wort when the gravity was taken?

russb123 - Yes, adjusted it looks like you have 1.047-8, You may have added just a little too much water diluting your batch, or you have a little layering of the sugars when you took the sample and it may be a little diluted.

DON"T WORRY. Relax, your still have some fine beer as long as you keep it sanitized, and your fermentation temperature matches your yeast.

Back