F**cking Banks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspence1

Reaction score
I tried to access my bank account online today, like I've been doing for years. I get an unable to identify you message. To the phone I go...The explanation sometimes this happens just use the back door. Ok so now I'm getting annoyed, The back door involves resetting my password. After 15 minutes of jumping through hoops for this a$$hole I finally get online. I ask my friendly banking associate if I'm going to have to got through this **** every time I login now.......his answer?!?! if you continue to use language like that I will have to end this call.

OMFG you mother Fockers just wasted 15 minutes of my life because your stupid and you dare scold me for saying ****. I have never wanted to see someone in person so much in my life. I would have loved to unleash a rant of curses that would make a steel worker blush upon this dumba$$.

I feel better now thanks!
John

Was it Bank of America or Wells Fargo?

Well .... he was right. People don't always deserve to, or want to, hear you swearing, no matter how upset you are.

I think **** is a swear word and is sometimes inappropriate. For instance, I would never say "Damn, Father, that holy wine is the ****!". But I use it - it's an adult word and I'm basically an adult on some level or other.

It's not necessaily the word itself (I've been known to drop a ton of ****-bombs in my life), but the context. If you're clearly pissed off and say "Am I going to have to go through this **** every time?", that's different that saying "this beer is the ****!" or even "Ah, ****, I've got to reset my password?"

Different tones, different implied messages.

In general, though, don't f*cking swear. Not sh!tting you, it isn't f*cking cool.

I generally try to be nice to the people at the call centers. I think this guy was just an ahole. He had already given me attitude for not knowing my account number. Who the hell knows their account number...a credit card number yes, drivers license yes, I know a million numbers because I use them. The last time I was asked for my bank account number was 7 years ago when I started a new job.

As someone in customer service - while we understand you are angry - the person on the phone likely did not cause your direct password problem, and it is absolutely unfair and kind of rude to verbally assault him or her for something they didn't do. Hell, even if they DID do it, you don't know them well enough to talk to them like that.

I'm gathering that if the FedEx guy came to deliver your package from AHS and he said "Here's your heavy arse package, who the hell do you think you are making me carry this **** around?" you'd probably be the first caller into FedEx customer service to complain that the poor driver yelled at you.

Sorry, no dice. That person didn't do anything to you - don't assault them.

Ok - you called a bank, and they asked you for the ONE piece of information that links you the person to their system.

It's like calling the IRS and complaining because they want your SSN...

He asked for the #1 thing that identifies you to their system. I just happen to keep my bank # on me in case I'm ever asked for this information so that I don't assault a poor $6.60 an hour phone monkey.

I'm sure it was Washington Mutual!

No matter how lame they are...swearing at customer service people, waiters, in public, around children, etc., makes you sound like an idiot.

Haw haw. Sorry had to laugh because it made me think of something. We went to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) recently, so before we left I called my CC co and told them where I was heading (you know so my card would still work). So this guy (no offense to Asians here) could barely speak English. Yes I know you guys have had this happen...but that's merely part of the issue. So the convo went kinda like this:

Mr Ping:"What is numbah on cahd?"
Me:I tell him the number.
(Pause)
Mr Ping:"Sorry wrong numbah, read again numbah on cahd"
Me: (slightly agitated) reads number
(Pause)
Mr Ping:"Nope. Sorry wrong numbah, not you numbah"
Mr Ping:"That old numbah"
Me: "huh? I used that card today what are you talking about?"
Mr Ping:"Is this new cahd or old cahd?"
Me:"What new card? Are you saying that you sent me a new card?"
Me:"Is the card activated?" (now I am getting worried if someone intercepted my new card which I didn't get)
Mr Ping:"yes is correct"
Me:"What is correct? That you sent a new card or that the card is activated?"
Mr Ping:"yes is correct"
Me: (highly agitated now) "What card number do you have there? I didn't get a new card, so are you saying the new card is activated???"
Mr Ping:"one momen please"
(pause)
Mr Ping:"ok, please what is numbah on cahd?"
(pause)
Me:"I am really confused. What are you saying?"
Mr Ping:"Is ok, cahd is ok. Is that everyting?"
Me:"You mean there is no new card?"
Mr Ping:"Is ok, everything ok"
Me:"I can use my card in Canada"
Mr Ping:"yes ok, anyting else?"
Me:"No thanks, bye"

true story

Quit playing guess-the-bank, cuz he's Canadian... American banks are few and far between up there. Knowing Ontario, It's probably either RBC or TD, but could always be one of the little guys.

j, you up on the Mountain, or in Downtown? The Hammer's a cool city, I just wish the summer I hung out there would've been cooler. Stupid 100+F degree days, with the humidity comin' off the lake.

And yeah. Don't swear to customer service reps unless they really, truly give you some 'tude. Put yourself in their shoes - it SUCKS answering those phones all day. :fro:

Honestly?

I'd probably be more pissed off if they DIDN'T give me a hassle. Account number's a pretty basic piece of information, I would be ripped if they didn't require that basic piece of information before helping someone into my account.

Ok - you called a bank, and they asked you for the ONE piece of information that links you the person to their system.

It's like calling the IRS and complaining because they want your SSN...

He asked for the #1 thing that identifies you to their system. I just happen to keep my bank # on me in case I'm ever asked for this information so that I don't assault a poor $6.60 an hour phone monkey.

Actually I provided them with my Bank Card Number which covers all of my accounts. I must be delusional because I would never call saying "am I going to have to go through all this **** next time" an assault.

I tend to ask suck-@$$ attitude having customer service agents if I ran over their 3 week old puppy that particular morning.

Quit playing guess-the-bank, cuz he's Canadian... American banks are few and far between up there. Knowing Ontario, It's probably either RBC or TD, but could always be one of the little guys.

j, you up on the Mountain, or in Downtown? The Hammer's a cool city, I just wish the summer I hung out there would've been cooler. Stupid 100+F degree days, with the humidity comin' off the lake.

And yeah. Don't swear to customer service reps unless they really, truly give you some 'tude. Put yourself in their shoes - it SUCKS answering those phones all day. :fro:

I'm up on the kinda mountain. it is RBC.... If this guy thinks **** is bad he should try working for bell.

Actually I provided them with my Bank Card Number which covers all of my accounts. I must be delusional because I would never call saying "am I going to have to go through all this **** next time" an assault.

Your bank card number is EASILY captured by any idiot who's ever scanned your card at a store or restaurant. That number is TOO public to allow direct access to your password and personal banking information.

You want anyone who's ever seen your card to get that kind of access? I don't.

I did phone tech support for a cable company for a while (which has to rank up with the worst jobs ever). My line was drawn on if the language was directed at me or not. Basically, you can say s*** all you want, but when you CALL me s*** I'll hang up the phone. And, actually, most of the irate callers seemed to accept that when I laid it down for them. I really only had to flat hang up on one customer and that was the guy that called me a nazi because I told him he wouldn't be able to send a 3 gigabyte attachment in an email.

I got the same response one time for saying damn. I got rear ended on my way home one day totaling my truck. I went to the Dr. and got x-rays and such and they went ahead and filed my personal insurance on the spot and I payed the bill, since I figured the guy who hit me insurance would reimburse me. Well I call up the insurance company of the person that hit me and asked to be reimbursed, and they kept telling me to send a bill and I kept telling them I only had a receipt. Spent 10 minuted trying to explain that there was no bill, and all I wanted was to be reimbursed and I'd be glad to send them the reciept.

Them :"What do you mean you dont have a bill you went to the Dr. right?"
Me: "Do you not know the difference between a receipt and a damn bill?"
Them: "If you continue using that language I'll have to end this call"

I ended up getting 10x what the x-rays cost me, and they wonder why I got an attorney involved in it.

Dealing with the bank monopoly (read collusion) here in Canada ticks me off to no end, as well, as does poor customer service overall. But I have to agree that swearing just signals that you have lost your cool, and no customer service rep will be helpful to you then.

Personally, I think the 'exceptionally polite but viciously angry' approach always works best. Customer service reps never want to deal with someone who is angry, but they can brush you off if they believe you have lost your cool and are being unreasonable. Be angry, but speak in a controlled, collected and exceedingly polite manner, and you will almost always get your way. I always aim to be belligerently persistent, too. I think that sometimes it's the only way to speak to a manager on the phone, and they are typically the only ones with any real power to resolve a dispute.

Anyways, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am betting the bank was BMO.

I ask my friendly banking associate if I'm going to have to got through this **** every time I login now.......his answer?!?! if you continue to use language like that I will have to end this call.

Asking civil questions that can be answered by the rep is a way to get what you want from callcenters. Asking incivil questions that cannot be answered by the rep is a recipe for frustration on both ends of the phone.

In case you are wondering what working in a callcenter is like:

It's 9am. I have been at work on the phones for 3hrs [and I have fielded 15 server-down calls]. My last call started immediately with belligerence and profanity in the first sentence, and involved threats of shotgun violence.

I used to work at a pizza delivery place. You can imagine the kind of abuse people would try to give the people answering the phones. The first abusive word uttered would get them a warning that the conversation was going to end if they did it again. But unless they were directing it at me or a coworker, I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Using foul language at any time, regardless of how justifiably angry you may be, only serves to identify the quality of your character. Remember, a kind word turns away wrath. The English language is one of the most expressive languages on earth, so there's really no reason to f*cking swear to get your point across, LOL! :D

I would ask for a supervisor ...

I know what bad service is. Usually the supervisor will be more competent.

With computer/tech support, I always ask for a case number, so when I call back, they can read the notes abt the plm

Frustrating as it is, the cursing just won't open many doors.

As someone in customer service - while we understand you are angry - the person on the phone likely did not cause your direct password problem, and it is absolutely unfair and kind of rude to verbally assault him or her for something they didn't do. Hell, even if they DID do it, you don't know them well enough to talk to them like that.

I'm gathering that if the FedEx guy came to deliver your package from AHS and he said "Here's your heavy arse package, who the hell do you think you are making me carry this **** around?" you'd probably be the first caller into FedEx customer service to complain that the poor driver yelled at you.

Sorry, no dice. That person didn't do anything to you - don't assault them.

Someone who works in customer service is paid to serve the customer. Doesn't matter if that customer is pissed-off, that should be an indication that somebody in their organization has dropped the ball & now it's their duty to fix the problem whether they created it or not; that IS what they get paid for, is it not? The guy is doing them a favour by keeping his money in their bank, they make a tidy profit off of his money. When there is a problem, an exceedingly frustrating problem that shouldn't have happened in the 1st place, and the customer calls for some service, and gets a threat of no service, I think there's an additional problem there; with the person who's supposed to be helping him. Ever hear the phrase "The customer is always right"? Well there he was, the customer. Just wanting a little service from customer service. Instead he got some assclown who won't do their job & still expects to get paid for it. Fire the assclown & get someone in there who can & will do the job of providing service to the customer. Anyone who works in customer service should expect some abuse; afterall, it's the morons who screwed things up in the 1st place & the exceedingly frustrated customers those screw-ups managed to piss-off that are keeping the customer service people employed. Now to be fair, there IS a line that we shouldn't cross, but I don't think this guy crossed it, even if he did, the assclown should've just transferred him to his mgr. That's part of what a manager's job is: to deal with the things that are beyond the capabilities of his staff. It's kind of like an EMT who's trying to save the life of a car accident victim & when the victim says "F*ck! It hurts!" the EMT says "if you continue to use language like that sir, I'll have to leave you here in the street." At the bank I deal with, they pay me $5.00 every time I have a problem with the ATM machine, AND not only do they fix the problem ASAP, they're also polite about it, even when I'm obviously pissed-off... Now that's good service; and that's a major reason (out of a few) as to why i continue to do business with their firm. OK, I'll step down off my soapbox now. Just so we're clear, this little rant wasn't aimed at you jetzer, nor at the OP; I'm just putting in my 2 cents worth, and now I'm done.

When I call tech support, I am on my best behaviour. No matter how upset I am. I give them the opportunity to fix me up before I get irate with them.

On the other hand, when strangers call me, and try to sell me credit cards, auto warranty, Dish Network, etc. I am as rude as I wanna be. My wife says I could get in trouble for it, but I think not. They called me, and so they are taking a chance.
Sometimes I just ask them to hold on for a moment, then set the phone down and see how long before they hang up.
Sometimes I press buttons on the phone at random intervals while they were talking. Shows then how rude it is to be interrupted.
The number 2 is usually the "take me off your call list" button.

Back