Different take on pre-cool stage for immersion chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
If you use an immersion chiller and have a freezer other than the one on top of your fridge, you might like this idea. I read about using a second coil immersed in ice as a pre-cool stage for the one in the kettle. I liked this idea but didn't want to spend the money (and time - mine is home-made) on another copper coil, so I bought about 20' of 3/8 vinyl tubing, put hose connectors on the ends, coiled it up in a two gallon bucket with the ends hanging out the top, wedged an empty two liter pop bottle in the middle to take expansion, put water in the bucket to cover the coils (you will need some method to hold the tubing underwater as it wants to float - I used some hooks fashioned from coathangers) and froze the whole thing. Come brew day and time to chill, I hooked it up ahead of my chiller after I used straight tap water to get down to about 120 deg. Using this I got the rest of the way down to 60 in about 12 minutes. Big savings on time and water. Of course, the tubing has to be drained and re-loaded in the bucket each time, but I like this better than ice bags.
Maybe this is not a new idea but I thought I'd throw it out there...

My ground water is so cold right now 15 minutes and I am pitching. I have one made out of copper for summertime but now it just takes to long to set up

Back