farmhouse cider... graff? yeast ranching with benefits.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
Just transferred our WLP670 peach saison. I want to store and reuse the yeast cake, since it has been 'customized' with my new brett blend. I stored a bit in a mason jar in the fridge, but as a back-up I have made a one gallon batch of "farmhouse graff"

I had a bit of left over sterling hops, so I made a 20 minute mini boil with some gold DME. I then took my tiny wort and poured it into a gallon jug with my farmhouse yeast cake and some apple cider.

No bitterness from the hops in sample. Perhaps not enough or not long enough boil. Tasted good either way!

Hopefully this will allow me to store and reuse that cake in a month or two, and hopefully get a nice wild cider along the way!

ForumRunner_20131013_235822.jpg

We shall see....

Ok. Taste tested last night.
It is quite sour. Sour in a good way. There are no bacteria in this yeast to my knowledge. I have carefully sanitized along each step, so believe this strain to be only: brett lambicus, brett brux, and WLP670 saison/brett blend.

The flavor is funk and sour apple with a boozy nose. Im not picking up anything from the hops.

Next go will be more DME and a bit more hops.

Not bottled yet. I will be using this graff to store my yeast cake for a month or two.

I'll update later on how it evolves.

Latest posts

Back