So, What's Going to Happen With the Wrong Wyeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJ

Reaction score
I'm definitely not going to dump the beer or anything like that (!) but I'm trying to brace myself for whatever surprise awaits me. I pitched an Irish Ale Wyeast into an oatmeal stout.

This is the second time this has happened and I've only brewed four times! The first time it was because it was my first brew and I didn't really know any better (it was just between a few packets of dry yeast at the brewing store) but this time I forgot I had bought two Wyeasts and when I dug one out of the fridge I said "Aha, this is it" and got busy with it. I know I need to pay more attention, but I'm brewing between nursing a 12 week old and doing microbiology homework (I hand her off to my husband if I'm doing anything involving the stove, of course, or when she might slobber in the wort :) )

So, is it not going to taste like a stout? My husband really likes stouts and I was looking forward to making him a good one. Now I'm thinking there's a chance it'll just turn out odd.

Um. Could someone delete this?

I got this confused with a recipe called Irish Red Ale, and when I saw the name of this packet, naturally I assumed I had bought it for the Irish Red Ale. But when I just double-checked the recipe for the stout, and checked the characteristics of the Irish Ale yeast at Wyeast's website, it is indeed the correct yeast.

Oh dear. I feel very silly now.

I brewed a stout in May and used the Irish Ale yeast with it because I couldn't find the one I was looking for and it fell within the correct range for alcohol tolerance.

It is so good it's retarded... :)

Back