Yeast recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulliganx

Reaction score
I just bought a pumpkin ale kit which came with a packet of Muntons Active Brewing Yeast.

I read the results vary on this type of yeast and that liquid yeast may be better.

I am looking for a stable yeast which I can use for all of my brewing (since I am just starting I am not interested in fermenting my own yeast yet)

What do you recommend on purchasing? Thanks!

Liquid yeast GENERALLY requires a starter to pitch proper rates. I don't use dry yeast so I wouldn't be able to recommend on, but if you go the liquid route, WLP001 (Chico) is a good all around ale yeast.

Nottingham is a very popular and versatile strain. Safale US-05 will work well for American beers. Safale S-04 will work if you like English beers.

Those are all dry yeasts. You will get much more selection with liquid yeast, but as indicated above you will either need to make starters or pitch multiple packs/vials.

Agreed use dry yeast for now. Us05 and s04 are awesome (go to) yeasts

White Labs WLP001 and Wyeast 1056 are "Chico." Sierra Nevada acquired "Chico" from the Siebel Institute. The Siebel accession number for the culture is BRY 96 (Ballantine). Safale US-05 is also BRY 96.

If your in a pinch for yeast. They sell coopers at the grocery store here in Canada. Wine kit shops also sell beer yeast and a u brew place will sell you a few grams of yeast no problem.

Disregard that last post. I meant to post in a different thread altogether

Latest posts

Back