Pureed Fruit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shhh

Reaction score
Hi all, I have started a few Meads and have been using them as a reference for each follow up Mead. Thing is I have never(until now) used pureed fruit , just whole/crushed fruit. All these have been in primary.

My last batch started a couple days ago I pureed 12oz of mixed berries in primary , one gallon. I am not getting the activity I usually get from whole fruit. I assume its because I have a thick "sludge" of fruit on the top, and its holding the co2 under not allowing it to escape.

So my question is: Am I at risk of killing fermantation ?
Am at risk of anything, really, since I have limited experience.
Has anyone else done it this way and still was successful? If so are there any special instruction, techniques that I need to know?

Thanks

Stir it gently, once or twice a day. The yeast needs oxygen during primary.

It's the same as "punching cap down" for a grape wine/pyment.

The issue with pureed fruit, is that the machinery will have smashed the seeds/pips. This can impart bitterness, plus it can be a bugger to rack later on.

IMO, stone fruit should have the stone/pit removed before. It's impractical to remove small pips, so its usual, to.freeze then thaw, before using.

"Punching down the cap" search produced a ton of information, with people asking same question.
I guess there is some terminology I need to learn , thank you both for your replies.

I've only started out for a few months now , trail and error I guess.
I think for my future batches, fruit will be added in secondary.

"Punching down the cap" search produced a ton of information, with people asking same question.
I guess there is some terminology I need to learn , thank you both for your replies.

I've only started out for a few months now , trail and error I guess.
I think for my future batches, fruit will be added in secondary.
We all get wonderful ideas, especially when it comes to formulating recipes.

I try to consider it thus.......

How to use...
What preps are needed.......
Does it or will its flavour change with being fermented....
Do I just want a "changed" flavour or can I do something to retain the original one.....
etc etc.....

You can read around the bazaars and find any number of weirdomels. Yet after reading such posts I always find myself questioning the practicality of such brews. They often have hidden consequences.......

Back