Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat

Sam's specialty brews have been going downhill for a while now, but with this, I actually gagged a little and then sent it back. A new low. Stick to what your good at, Mr. Koch! (Though I loved their Noble Pils, go figure)

The Noble Pils was surprisingly good. I really liked that one.

There are so many bad beers out there, macro and micro. Not sure if I could really pick the "worst", but I'll leave a couple here.

Macro: Natural Light. I think this is the only beer I have ever turned down upon someone offering one to me for free.

Micro: I think the brewery went under, but there was a truly terrible beer called Texas Tornado. I'm not sure what style of beer it was supposed to be, but it was cloudy and tasted infected.

I think there's a lot "craft" breweries don't really live up to the name. Too many quality issues that are either missed or ignored.

I'd have to agree on OE 800 that we used to drink in college. Why did we drink it? It was stronger than anything else we could buy then so we gutted out the taste and drank them as fast as we could.
Now that I'm a beer snob, the worst recently that I've had was a Peaks Brewing (Port Angeles, WA) IPA a couple years ago. They've since made some changes and it is now drinkable.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weisse. If I wanted Koolaide added to my beer I'd do it myself. Seriously this stuff was just foul. A close second would be Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. What I don't get, is that I like plenty of other fruit beers (mainly sour though) but these two are just terrible.

This is an interesting topic. My two points I would judge by are: 1) is it fresh (or aged) and 2)is it something I would want to drink anyway. I can buy many different kinds of beer from around the world locally - but, I don't know how long they have beem around. If I see a 2008 fresh harvest beer on the shelf it has obviously been setting. I also don't like a lot of stuff in my beer like cherries, lime etc..
With that said I had some fresh 90 minute Dogfish Head IIPA that I could barely put half a glass down before I had to chuck it. Now 2 years later I can drink the whole bottle.
I was in a pub where they had Magic Hat #9 on tap. I had heard about it but none of the specifics. So when I took a swig I tasted a hint of Apricot. This to me was a refreshing summer beer - but, I probably would not have tried if I knew there was apricot in it.

Hooker Watermelon Ale. Love the brewery but this tastes like someone put a watermelon jollyrancher in a bottle of coors light. My wife's girlfriends love it though...

Back in college, my roommate brought home 3 cases of something called "Phat Boyz" that only came in 40 ounce bottles and it was a high gravity malt liquor at around 7.9% ABV. I think he got them for .79 cents a bottle. Horrible beer.

Back in college, my roommate brought home 3 cases of something called "Phat Boyz" that only came in 40 ounce bottles and it was a high gravity malt liquor at around 7.9% ABV. I think he got them for .79 cents a bottle. Horrible beer.

But it got you tanked. Very few beers that come in 40 oz bottles are meant to be savored.

Most disappointing.. Epic Pale Ale, that was after six pints of Lion Red and three pints of Fuggles Bitter, anyone who has visited NZ will know what I mean. Going to have to give it another try because its supposed to be a hoppy APA but I couldnt taste a thing.

It was a pale ale served at a brewpub just off of 6th Street in Austin Texas. I believe a place called Fado's Irish pub is there now. The original place was called something else. Worst beer ever. Second worst beer was the stout my wife ordered. I believe they went out of business, which goes to show that even college students won't drink bad beer.

I gotta agree Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat has got to be among the most vile "beers" i have tasted.

Tasted like Bam Bam took a fruity peebles in a bottle.

Funny, before reading this thread I had "built a six-pack" in the grocery store, and this beer was one of the ones I grabbed. I don't know if it's the worst beer I've ever tasted, but it was really really bad. Three tastes, and then dump.

just remembered another:

I forget the name but it was a generic yellow lager with a jalepeno pepper at the bottom. My friend received some from a relative and was giving it away. The jalapeno hotness mixed badly with the lager flavor to make a mostly undrinkable beer. It's one of the only beers I've ever poured out.

Rhinelander, back in the early 90's in college. It was tough to get down--at least back then.

Lately, though, i'd have to agree on the Leine's Berry Weiss and Summer Shandy. Way to sweet and messed up. I can deal with their Sunset Wheat, though--if it's the only available besides BMC.

The worst part about SA cherry wheat (besides the fact that it tastes like a Luden's cough drop), is that it replaced their dark wheat. Anyone else remember that one? Of course they haven't made it in ages, and my tastes are more, um, advanced now, but 15 years ago I LOVED it (it was the case I bought on my 21st) and was royally pissed that it was discontinued, and even madder that they slipped us "cherry wheat" instead.

Red Hook made a what I think was some kind of Pomegranate wheat beer that they sold at the end of a race in NH. We passed it around until one guy liked it.

It was something called "Life & Limb" made by a joint effort between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head of all people.

Great Lakes Brewing - Grassroots Ale Saison

It tasted like grass clippings...freshly mowed. This is coming from a huge fan of Saisons.

One of my most memorably bad micro brews was New Belgium's 2 Degrees Below. It tasted like someone had taken a beer and added a scoop of potting soil to it.

The worst beer that I have ever finished was Atwater's Vanilla Java porter. I don't know what went wrong with this beer, but they just need to start over from scratch. It had the mouthfeel of water, which just ain't right for a porter. The taste started out fine, but then towards the end it was like I put a coffee flavored 9 volt battery on my tongue.

One of my most memorably bad micro brews was New Belgium's 2 Degrees Below. It tasted like someone had taken a beer and added a scoop of potting soil to it.

Wow, I really like that beer. Then again, I love the taste of triple twelve.

Tallgrass Brewing Company, Buffalo sweat, by far the worst beer I have had.

Come to think of it Rogue's Chipotle Ale wasn't pleasant either

That Sam Adams Cherry Wheat was pretty bad, but the hands down worst ever was Billy Beer. Now this was a very long time ago. about 1976 or so when Jimmy C was in the big chair. His brother had some kind of beer deal going, they sold it on the base for $1 a six pack, I drank half of one and tossed the rest. That was back when $1 would get you 3 gallons of gas

That Sam Adams Cherry Wheat was pretty bad, but the hands down worst ever was Billy Beer. Now this was a very long time ago. about 1976 or so when Jimmy C was in the big chair. His brother had some kind of beer deal going, they sold it on the base for $1 a six pack, I drank half of one and tossed the rest. That was back when $1 would get you 3 gallons of gas

Ahhh... Billy beer.....now that is a blast from the past. That stuff was awful. Gets my vote for worst beer ever.

Capital Brewery's Supper Club. They make decent beer, so I assume it tastes like what they intended. Lordy. I don't hate on BMC, drink High-Life occasionally too. I had a sip of Supper Club - blech.

As far as mass-produced, Rolling Rock takes the cake for me.

The absolute worst I can remember trying is a beer that I tried in a bar in Reading, PA many years ago. Can't remember the bar's name, but it had a bunch of comfy sofas and board games. The beer was on tap, and was called "Mannequin's Piss". The tap handle was some sort of doll, meant to be a mannequin obviously. But it tasted as advertised, just like plastic and piss. Don't know if it was a local brewery's beer or what - I can't imagine they still make it

It was a pale ale served at a brewpub just off of 6th Street in Austin Texas. I believe a place called Fado's Irish pub is there now. The original place was called something else. Worst beer ever. Second worst beer was the stout my wife ordered. I believe they went out of business, which goes to show that even college students won't drink bad beer.

Most likely you are thinking of the coppertank, which was right on 5th and was a brewpub. I thought their beer was not the uh...best. The brewer there then started Independence Brewing. Fado is a ways down the street on 4th.

A mexican sounding beer that (supposedly) has tequila in it, cant remember the name. I used to drink it in France. It was cheap, we were poor and it got you hammered along with chasers of Pastis/grenadine concoction.
It was called 6-shooter or something. Fkin awful.

Budweiser, Wild Cat, Bush, mgd, corona, old Milwaukee, pretty much any lager that isn't made by a micro brewery. I generally don't like any light colored beers except wheat ales.

in the 80's there were 2 types of beer that were tied. 1 was called ABC Beer, the other was called "Beer", and it was in a white can with black lettering. they were even worse than Olympia. as a high school kid who just wanted beer, i drank 2 olympia's, and ran for the trees to lose it (i was camping)

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown with hazel. Tasted like a nasty coffee drink from Starbucks. Bought a six and dumped five down the drain.

Back