Merry Christmas - here comes the AG gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
I just got a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler, a false bottom and a stir plate. I am also going to get a second 10 gallon pot tomorrow to use as a HLT. I am almost set for my first AG batch. All I need now is to get some fittings from Bargain Fittings to connect it all and to figure out how I want to sparge.

I am thinking about fly sparging with gravity from the HLT to the MLT and then pumping to the BK. I am planning to make a copper hoop with little holes drilled in it to deliver the sparge water.

Any good tps for someone about to embark on their first AG batch? I am planning to buy an AG kit to get me thru the first batch. That way I know I have what I need. How much extra DME do folks suggest I have on hand incase/when I miss my OG?

Any good tps for someone about to embark on their first AG batch? I am planning to buy an AG kit to get me thru the first batch. That way I know I have what I need. How much extra DME do folks suggest I have on hand incase/when I miss my OG?

My tip, ENJOY it!!! I still do extract batches occasionally, did one today actually, but when I have time to do AG it's always a fun brew day. As far as missing OG, if your only off a few points like 3-5 depending on the recipe, don't worry about it. If you're WAY off then I'd probably have a couple pounds of DME on hand, just in case.

I suggest a batch sparge for the first AG brew.....my first AG brew i tried a fly sparge and my OG was off by like 15-20 points. Second time i did AG i batch sparged and my numbers were dead on. Batch sparging is easier i think.

Thats my opinion.

I'm new to all grain brewing myself and i totaly agree on batch sparging. Just make sure that you mix your grain bed up really well and I suggest (got it from a video) using your white bottling bucket to see how much wort u get from each of the runnings so you can make sure that you get the right amount to boil. that was my biggest problem when i started doing all grain!

Back