Measuring temp inside of Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geis6

Reaction score
I've recently acquired a BM23

2180179080_627f30c189.jpg

The main problem that I am having right now is accurately measuring temp inside of the refrig compartment so I can establish a baseline measurement for the numbers on the thermostat. This unit came used without a manual, so I don't know where I stand with the numbers on the thermostat knob.

What are best practices for measuring temps inside of refrigerated units? Any advice?

Cheers!

A digital thermometer will give you a good referance, but your going to need the liquid temp. so you know where to set the co2 for your keg. Try a glass of water with a thermometer in it and leave it overnight.

Finster4 said:
A digital thermometer will give you a good referance, but your going to need the liquid temp.
Yep, the air temp will fluctuate a lot, so you want to measure liquid temp will stay more stable and represent the actual beer temperature.
One common approach people take is to take a white labs yeast vial (or other small container) and fill it with the gel goo from an ice pack, drill a small hole in the cap and jam the thermometer probe in there. If you're only looking for a quick way to check, a glass of water with the probe in it ought to work just fine.

Same goes for fermenting, taping the probe to the carboy is a lot better than relying on air temp.

i use a cheap indoor/outdoor digital themometer purchased at walmart. it has a wireless temp transmitter that i place in the fridge and hung the main unit on the wall next to my kegorator. it gives me an outside air temp in the garage and the wireless transmitter gives me a temp inside the freezer and sends it to the main unit so all i have to do is look at the main unit to find out what the air temp in the freezer is.
i thin i paid around 20 bucks for it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My air temp had been fluctuating greatly. I'm going the fluid route.

I calibrated my fridge therm with my Ranco controller last night, but I want to get away from using a Ranco here, since the blower on the refrigeration unit keeps the air circulating and keeps cold air in the tower.

Cheers!!

Back