adding grains to an extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskman

Reaction score
does anyone know of any good books on this subject I would like to read up on it and since I am new to this hobby I think this would be a good way of making something like an extract my own.

Steeping specialty grains is very simple and there are lots of recipes and resources to explain which grains are appropriate for which styles.

The basic procedure is to bring 1.5 gallons of water to 155 degrees F. Then add the grains (usually in a grain bag) to the kettle and let steep for 20 minutes. Remove the grains, bring the wort to boil, and continue as normal with your extract and hop additions.

As you are a new brewer I would suggest sticking with established recipes for the time being; once you have more experience, check out "Designing Great Beers" as it has tons of information on creating your own recipes and can be used by extract brewers even though it is designed for AG.

most Brewer's Best kits (among many other brands) have steeping grains included. its a good way to try it once or twice before you devise your own recipe.

You also see those steeping grains referred to as "specialty grains," although some specialty grains should be mashed (like Special B).

A "partial mash" is when you take part of the grain bill that needs to be mashed (i.e., you need to convert starched to sugars), but also use some extract. Steeping grains are already converted, so you don't have to worry about mashing.

TL

yeah your not mashing because your not converting any enzymes to sugar..yeasties food! Steeped grains are for color and taste..mouthfeel. but steeping grains is a step to partial mashes and then full mashes!

Take the step and you won't be sorry in the quality of your beers!

Also if you haven't read the joy of home brewing I would defiantly recommend the book. It will teach you pretty much all you need to know.

Cheers,

Back