The Perfect Brewing Scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheeledGoat

DisMember
Reaction score
[BEGIN INFOMERCIAL]
We all have our own way of doing things and we like it that way... but every now and again a product comes along that changes that, and you start wondering how you ever got along without it! If you're in the market for a brewing scale, consider the Chefmate 3-in-1!!!

It's perfect! It's large enough to accomodate a bowl and still easily see the readout, (but it can only accomodate up to 4.4lb - this is perhaps the biggest drawback of this scale). It weights in g or oz, runs off 2xAA batteries, turns itself off after a few minutes, and has a clock.

But wait! There's MORE!
It's got a timer!
The best part about the timer is you can count up or down, pause the timer (for when you're making an addition and getting back up to boil), and while it lacks settable intermittent alarms (to remind you of certain additions), it automatically chirps at 15, 10, and 5 minutes of the countdown! It must have been designed by a homebrewer - that's my only theory. Just perfect for the Irish Moss & aroma hop additions.

It's the perfect brewing accessory! Get yours today, while supplies last!
[/END INFOMERCIAL]
;)

p.s. I found mine at Target, same price as amazon.com, minus shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
[BEGIN INFOMERCIAL]
(but it can only accomodate up to 4.4lb - this is perhaps the biggest drawback of this scale). ours today, while supplies last!
[/END INFOMERCIAL]
;)

My scale now, that I intend to upgrade, is an analog POS scale. Even though it has no fancy bells and whistles, the main reason I want to upgrade is because it only goes up to 4 lbs and it is a PITA. I am sure this scale is nice, but it definitely would not work for me.

I have that scale and it works great. I'll quickly replace it if I find one with the same features with a 20-30lb capacity, though.

Check into the WeighMax digital scales. The one I purchased on ebay I recall was $13 including shipping ( it was late one night within seconds of the bid closing so I jumped on it). Model W-28221, yes i'm very happy with it. You'll have to go thru a bunch of garbage when you google for their scales until you get the Weight Max factory for different models with specs.

Weighing in G,oz, +/- 1 oz
Auto-Weight-Lock Function
Auto Shut Off
Low Battery Indicator
Tare weight Feature
Optional Power Source (a standard 9 volt socket in the back for a 9 volt DC cube power supply add your own if needed).
Lifetime Warranty (within 15 miles from me). A major US company but will this small end scale model be around 10 years from now for service as this scale is made in China) Big surprise?

There were many more for sale on ebay for this item by the same company with different end of sale times. Weighs items up to 35 pounds with graduations down to 0.1 oz/5 grams. The higher capacity model I recall was 50 pounds that was accurate to 0.2 oz/ 10 grams.
To be legal as a postal scale it must be accurate to 0.1 oz i've been told by the USPS.

I've been using the Chefmate Digital Stainless Scale for years now. It's very accurate (+- 1g) and weights up to 11 pounds at a time. It's available at Target for $40.

41EI8r6SuBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And, of course, it has the priceless "tare" function which is very useful when weighing out specialty grains into the same bowl.

[BEGIN INFOMERCIAL]
We all have our own way of doing things and we like it that way... but every now and again a product comes along that changes that, and you start wondering how you ever got along without it! If you're in the market for a brewing scale, consider the Chefmate 3-in-1!!!

It's perfect! It's large enough to accomodate a bowl and still easily see the readout, (but it can only accomodate up to 4.4lb - this is perhaps the biggest drawback of this scale). It weights in g or oz, runs off 2xAA batteries, turns itself off after a few minutes, and has a clock.

But wait! There's MORE!
It's got a timer!

The best part about the timer is you can count up or down, pause the timer (for when you're making an addition and getting back up to boil), and while it lacks settable intermittent alarms (to remind you of certain additions), it automatically chirps at 15, 10, and 5 minutes of the countdown! It must have been designed by a homebrewer - that's my only theory. Just perfect for the Irish Moss & aroma hop additions.

It's the perfect brewing accessory! Get yours today, while supplies last!
[/END INFOMERCIAL]
;)

p.s. I found mine at Target, same price as amazon.com, minus shipping.

I just got one and it rocks!
Thanks for the tip.

I have one of these too. I got it for all the reasons you listed, and it was the cheapest digital scale at Target.

Back