My Water Report, Please Take a Look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
I just received my water report from Ward Labs. Those in the know, please take a moment to look it over and make any recommendations.

Thanks, as always. :mug:

pH 7.1
Total Dissolved Solids 172 ppm
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.29
Cations/Anions, me/L 3.1/3.2

Sodium, Na - 2 ppm
Potassium, K - 2 ppm
Calcium, Ca - 32 ppm
Magnesium, Mg - 16 ppm
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 147 ppm
Nitrate, NO3-N - 1.0 ppm
Sulfate, SO4-S - 3 ppm
Chloride, Cl - 4 ppm
Carbonate, CO3 - <1pm
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 168 ppm
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 137 ppm

View attachment WaterReport.pdf

Its fine, excepting for the alkalinity. You will need to master acid additions for your brewing water. Bru'n Water has the tools for that. All the other ions are reasonably low.

I have a cabin in Blairsville. I haven't ever brewed with that water, but I pick up a slight metallic twang in the water. The water report above doesn't report iron or manganese. If the water stains your plumbing fixtures, you might have a problem using it for brewing.

Thanks for the response, mabrungard. I suspected that my total alkalinity was high. I get a good bit of scale build up on my sink fixtures, no rust though.

I'll have to read up on bringing the alkalinity down. I have just started testing my mash pH and have noticed some big changes as I sparge. It is bringing out what I perceive as tannins in many of my beers, particularly IPAs.

Alright, I looked. Now what?

I know nothing of this chemistry crap. Damn you! Damn you to Hell! Give me my 10 seconds back!

;)

Alright, I looked. Now what?

I know nothing of this chemistry crap. Damn you! Damn you to Hell! Give me my 10 seconds back!

;)

I thought the thread title, "Please Take a Look at My Water Report, But Only if You Know What You are Talking About", to be a bit off putting and a bit too long.

It took me more than 10 seconds to respond, so we're even. :mug:

I thought the thread title, "Please Take a Look at My Water Report, But Only if You Know What You are Talking About", to be a bit off putting and a bit too long.

It took me more than 10 seconds to respond, so we're even. :mug:

:mug:

All in good fun brother! I should probably check mine. I seem to make great beer, but who isn't to say that it could be 3% better?

:mug:

All in good fun brother! I should probably check mine. I seem to make great beer, but who isn't to say that it could be 3% better?

Never having tried your beer Cheezy, I can only go with what I have read.

That said, I think maybe Okra would be the key to making you beer 3% better. Hell, even if it only may it 2% better that would be a good thing would it not?

Back