Strange (possibly terrible) idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
Just saw a video on you tube about a kit that makes "prohibition whiskey" (its a whiskey flavored alcoholic beverage.) Basically its fermented sugar water and then cleared with liquid charcoal and other fining agents and at the end, whiskey flavor is added. This got me thinking. I don't have whiskey flavoring, but I have root beer extract. I wonder how it would turn out. Anybody ever experiment with flavored kilju?

I think you should be able to find some recipes on here for alcoholic root beer, not hooch based though.

I've made alcoholic ginger beer and that's great! My root beer experiments were not successful.

You could make a wine with a high ABV using a strong champagne yeast and with nutrient additions and healthy ferment, possibly get it into the low 20's. After it clears, add the whiskey flavoring and syphon into a small oak barrel to let age like a whiskey? Would be an interesting thought. Also sounds like alot of work for something that could end up tasting terrible.. lol

Back