My Ginger/Nutmeg/Cinnamon Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my latest 1 gallon test batch.

4Lbs Clover Honey
1 nutmeg nut(cut in half)
1 stick Cinnamon
2 small slices of ginger
1 package D-47
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to the 1 gallon mark

SG = 1.133

Excited to see how this one tastes in about a year or so :mug:

Did you bottle any 12's to check its progress along the way? Any updates?

Still in the Carboy. Hasn't cleared yet. I haven't pulled a sample in the last 2 months, but last one tasted a bit like cough syrup with a lot of alcohol. I'm hoping that it will mellow in the next 6 months, but we'll see.

Update on this one. It has definitely gotten better with age! I can still taste a hint of the cough syrupy taste, but that has most definitely faded with age as did the alcohol taste. Going to give it a while longer, I was originally a bit worried about this one, but I think another 6 months or so and this will be a very tasty mead :)

Cough syrup taste is gone. The spices are coming through nicely now, it's a tad bit sweeter than I like but not too bad(FG: 1.015), think I'll be bottling up soon. This will be good for Christmas :)

How spicy was this? Just last night I started a similar mead, I used an organic honey-based ginger syrup (four cups), ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg (each is about three teaspoons worth), four cinnamon sticks, some real chopped ginger, and 500 grams of clover/alfalfa honey. To be honest, I wasn't as precise with measuring as I probably should have been, but seeing how little spice you used, do you think mine will be too spicy? This is all in five gallons, by the way.

well the last sample I pulled wasn't spicy at all from what I remember. This batch is actually still in the carboy and hasn't been bottle up yet, and I honestly don't think I've pulled a sample in about 1.5 years(kept the airlock full though).

My son was born a little over 1.5 ago and I haven't really had free time to brew/bottle much since then. As a result I have 5 batches of mead of various sizes in the downstairs closet that have been sitting in the carboys for over 2 years now. One of these weekends I will get them bottled up :D

Latest posts

Back