Just kegged my first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volfan16

Reaction score
I just kegged my first beer and i pressurized it to 21 psi because I am carbonating it at room temp. Anyway, it seems my pressure has dropped to 18 psi and there doesn't seem to be any leaks in the keg. Is this normal? If so, do I add more co2 to try get it back up to 21 psi?

I just kegged my first beer and i pressurized it to 21 psi because I am carbonating it at room temp. Anyway, it seems my pressure has dropped to 18 psi and there doesn't seem to be any leaks in the keg. Is this normal? If so, do I add more co2 to try get it back up to 21 psi?

If you left the valve open it should stay at 21psi, is your tank full? If your valve is open and your keg is at 21 psi but your regulator is at 18 could mean backflow and a runied regualtor. Always make sure your regulator is set for more psi than whats in your keg. do you have a dual guage regulator? Like I said, if you set it at 21 it should stay at 21 unless your valve is shut and your keg leaks or your out of co2.

I do have a dual kegging system and I went from 18 back up to 21 last night, but I checked it this morning and it's back down to around 15psi..

You will lose pressure to carbonation. When the CO2 dissolves into the beer it has to come from the pressure at the top. Keep it under steady pressure if you want it to carb faster. Getting it cold will make it even faster still.

I talked to the folks at Midwest brewing and they said at room temp to crank it up to around 40 psi (way up from my original 21 psi and to keep it there which means when the pressure drops to put more co2 on it to get back up to 40.. He said at room temp and 40 psi it should take 3-4 days to carbonate. Is this the case? And after a few days, what do I do. Do I release excess pressure after turning co2 off? Then put it at around 6 psi and take the tank off again for serving?

You'll want to release the pressure first, and then put the CO2 on and keep it on. This way you maintain pressure as you pour.

I'm keeping my brew at 20psi in my basement. I'll put it on ice this weekend to get it cold and hopefully It'll be carbed by then.

Latest posts

Back