Anyone know of new size restriction on transporting CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried getting my 20 lb CO2 tank refilled today by a local gas supply company only to be told that there are now new size restrictions on transporting a full CO2 tank inside a car or van. The CGA has now stated that 15 lb CO2 tanks are the largest size allowed by regulations to be transported inside cars and vans. In order to transport 20 lbs or larger size tanks you must have a pickup truck or delivery van with the cab sealed off from the cargo area.

Has anyone heard this before? I had my tank refilled 2 months ago with no problems but today things were different. (Had to get it refilled because of a leaky keg that is now hopefully fixed.)

If this is a new CGA regulation I could not find it on their website. There were posted signs in the business though. Anyone else run into these recently? Fortunatley I live about 16 blocks from this place so they let me "carry it home" instead driving it home.

I have been in the welding industry for over 18 yrs. This is the first I have heard of any change, the CGA governs the packaging of the gases. The DOT should be the governing body over the transportation. I will check with my contacts to see if this is the case or BS.

Cheers,
The other Mick

No problems here in ny. Hell they let me put a 100+ pound tank in my car.

Just as I suspected, I contacted a buddy's who is a second generation welding supply guy. I sent him our correspondence and that is his reply.

Nope. You are correct. The CGA has nothing to do with transportation. The DOT governs that. You can haul whatever you want in your car/van as long as it is 1000 pounds or under and it is secured. Somebody is feeding this guy some BS.

I would speak to a manager or find another supplier. A welding supplier, fire extinguisher service center or a beer/soda distributor could supply you with Co2.

This is good to know. I am going to move my tank refills to another business because the fellow who told this to me today had a manager name tag and business card.

Wonder if any DOT restrictions are mandated by individual states and he was misquoting regultions.

thanks for checking on this for me.

Well if this is an "independent" welding distributor my first thought is that they may be concerned about liability of allowing someone to load a hazardous cylinder into a confined space and drive away.

Trust me I have been next to a 5 lb. cylinder when the burst disk let loose, lets just say " I needed new pair of shorts. You never want 20 lbs. of Co2 venting in your vehicle.

If your have to transport inside of your vehicle, pick it up, belt it in, crack a window and go strait home and take it out. I'm not trying to "scare" you just informing you of the risks.

Or two the short answer, they are attempting to increase their profit margins by charging you $20+ for a deliver.

Back