Bottling Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this. When I go to bottle a berliner weisse, do I have to pitch yeast along with the priming sugar? Or will the critters just eat the sugar and create CO2 from there. For 5 gallons, how much priming sugar should be used?

Depends on how you made it. I would do a weisse by souring the wort with lacto from yoghurt or something for a couple of days until it was as sour as I wanted it, then pasteurise it with campden, wait 24 hours and pitch your yeast. If that's the way you did it, then I would just rack into your bottling bucket, take a teaspoon of yeast from the bottom and mix it into the bucket, then bottle.

How did you do it?

I did a 2 day sour mash then let the pelicile form for a about a week then pitched regular ale yeast. Its gone from 1.030 down to 1.003. Its nice and dry and tart. I plan on aging it on raspberries for a little while to get some flavor. I'm just wanting to make sure I steer clear of bottle bombs. We all know how much of a beast Lacto is.

I bottled mine after 4 weeks, it was incredibly tart and at 1.005. After a week in the bottle, they've formed mini pellicles. Crazy!

I also racked half on to frozen raspberries which I will bottle in another 2 weeks.

Back