Homebrewclub looking for way to identify off flavors and various chartersitcs of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking for an alternative to FlavorActiV. I'm trying to get people in my brew club into recognizing different characteristics / off flavors of beer and heard of the FlavorActiV product. When I went to the website I found that the prices are ridiculously expensive, too expensive for my brew club of 15 (almost $200 for shipping and handling for the Acetaldehyde sample). I was writing to see if anyone knows of any other alternative products offered that are a little bit cheaper. We are a new club and we are trying to get people into recognizing off flavors and characteristics of beer, but we can’t afford $200 per sample. Any insight will help.

I've got a batch of TOO HOT FERMENT that I'd send you. And a batch of what happens when you last minute decide to full boil an extract batch without adjusting hops....Shipping cost and a 6 pack of each is headed your way!

Oxidation should be easy enough to duplicate. Have the club brew it as an event. Do an extract SmAsH, 1 or 2 gallons...and shake the hell out of it before you bottle. Once you've tasted it...You'll never forget it.

DMS...Do a nice Pillsner SmAsH Boil With the lid on for like 45 min.

In Randy Moshers book Radical Brewing he has a section on off-flavors and how to duplicate some of them by common additives. Check that out. It would be a start. I am sure your members must have some off batches as well. Everyone experiences it at some time. Trick is having someone who can pinpoint it and then label it.

Check out the BJCP Exam Study Guide on the BJCP website. It has a great guide for doctoring beers. I've tried to cut and paste it below, but it didn't come over so great.

TL
____

Guidelines for Doctoring Beers
Flavor Adulterant Quantity
Sour/Acidic USP lactic acid 0.4 ml (1/3. tsp of solution of 1/8 tsp lactic acid plus 3/8 tsp distilled water)
Sour/Acidic White wine vinegar 3/4 tsp
Bitterness iso-hop extract 1 or 2 drops, to taste
Sweetness sucrose (table sugar) 1/4 tsp dissolved in 1/2 tsp water
Astringency Grape tannin 2 tsp. of solution of 1/8 tsp tannin dissolved in 5 Tbsp water
Phenolic Chloroseptic 0.4 ml (1/3. tsp of solution of 1/8 tsp Chloroseptic plus 3/8 tsp distilled water)
Clovelike Clove solution Make solution of 8 cloves soaked in 3 oz. of beer and add liquid to taste (about 4 tsp)
Sulfitic Potassium metabisulfite* Make solution of one tablet dissolved in 3 oz. of beer and add to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
Alcoholic Ethanol 2 tsp (increases alcohol by 2.7%). 3 tsp vodka may also be used
Sherry-like Dry sherry 3/4 tsp
Nutty Almond extract 0.1 ml (1/8 tsp of solution consisting of 1/8 tsp. almond extract plus 5/8 tsp. distilled water)
Papery/Stale N/A Open bottles to air, reseal, and keep at 100 F or warmer for several days
Winey White wine 2 Tbsp
Diacetyl Butter extract 4-5 drops
Estery Banana extract 6-7 drops
Lightstruck N/A Expose commercial beer in green bottles to sunlight for 1-3 days.

* Should not be tasted by persons with asthma or sulfite allergies.

I would suspect the most common of the off flavors would be pretty easy to produce in a basic brew. brew up a few small batches of just base malt and basic hop and yeast. things like excessive fermentation temps, oxidation, infection, skunking, carmalization, ect should be able to be isolated with care.

Back