Threaded bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wefdog

Reaction score
Anyone ever have any luck using bottles that were twist off? That is will the cap grab enough for a home brew?

If your referring to using a press on cap, the best you can hope for is flat beer. The worst is not finding the pieces of glass that broke off the "threads" before you take a drink (I've inadvertently tried capping several and usually am notified by the sound of glass crunching) . I have heard of people using the original cap to screw back on, but IMO it would be a crap shoot at best.

Supposedly you can do it with a bench capper. The glass is definitely too thin for wing cappers.

I tried one because in spite of me asking my friends for brown bottles and not screw off, I got a bag full of Mike's Hard Cider bottles and Blue Moon. Threads galore. I tried a cap and heard a crunch. The rest were recycled.

I mistakenly capped a couple that were threaded. No glass crunching and it SEEMED to be sealing (no obvious leaks when I inverted the bottle) but I chucked them anyways. No point in risking it when it's fairly easy to get pry offs...

Back