let unfermented beer sit overnite ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninkasi2012

Reaction score
I want to do 2 1gallon batches using liquid yeast. I normally use dry yeast so I want 2 compare using a liquid yeast.
At this point I don't want 2 make a starter until I see the results of liquid yeast vs dry yeast.

The yeast I happen to have is a Wyeast Smack-pack. Can I brew a beer and leave it over night and brew another batch of beer. Then once I open the yeast I can then split it in 2. Is there any harm is brewing a beer and let it sit in the fermenter (closed) without yeast ?

everything i've read says it's not a good idea. there will be air the headspace, and that air will contain some amount of contaminants. overnight might be enough time for them to take hold.

you should look into (AKA search for) "no-chill brewing". note that you need to use a specific type of container, one that you can squeeze to get all the air out (and super-heat what little air is left)

I've never personally done it, but my brew buddy has when his chiller broke. He was fine but just be super sure that everything is extremely clean. Remember, you are creating a great growth medium for microorganisms (i.e. yeast, mold, germies, etc) and anything funky is lurking in your fermenter it will definitely take off overnight.

I've left wort overnight before in a glass carboy in the fermentation chamber without issue. 8-12 hours is OK, but any more than that and the wort definitely starts to turn rather quickly.

I've left it for 7 DAYS without living yeast in wort before (shipped dead yeast, pitched anyway, hoped for the best, got my yeast replaced, repitched) without any contamination.

Are you absolutely confident in your sanitation practices? Then it won't be a problem. If there is one hole though, you'll have issues.

Get an immersion chiller when you can, but I've done it many times. Heck it sat sometimes for a few days because the yeast didn't start. No infections as yet.

Just make sure you are meticulous about sanitation processes.

I want to do 2 1gallon batches using liquid yeast. I normally use dry yeast so I want 2 compare using a liquid yeast.
At this point I don't want 2 make a starter until I see the results of liquid yeast vs dry yeast.

The yeast I happen to have is a Wyeast Smack-pack. Can I brew a beer and leave it over night and brew another batch of beer. Then once I open the yeast I can then split it in 2. Is there any harm is brewing a beer and let it sit in the fermenter (closed) without yeast ?
can't you brew enough wort at one time? why brew 1 gallon the first night and a second gallon the next? why not brew 2 gallons, then split that? i suspect i'm not understanding what you're trying to do...

Back