Best Substitute's for Centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerFingers

Reaction score
Many places are out of Centennial right now until the next harvest, so I put in a hop order and got just about everything else (Cascade, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight, HBC 342, Willamette, etc.)

A couple of recipe's I am looking at call for Centennial. I have heard that a combo of Cascade and Columbus would work, but what do you think the best substitute is? More Cascade? Cascade + Amarillo?

I'd say Columbus. Centennial isn't quite as citrusy as Cascade or Amarillo. Cascade plus Columbus might be a decent blend, too.

I wouldn't stress about this too much. Go with any combo of the following or even a lone hop off this list... Cascade, Columbus, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe. -- Pure Amarillo is actually the least like Centennial of those five hops since it's quite unique in its own right, but still more similar to Centennial than say Willamette. Amarillo shares some of its juicy fruitiness with Centennial, but that's about it. By using mostly citrusy Cascade used in conjunction with a touch Amarillo would help to round that out. You'll get a bit more dankness from straight Columbus. More earth from Chinook, and more pine cone character from Simcoe.

Latest posts

Back