How do you bottle a saison for competition?!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you guys bottle a saison for a competition that requires "12 oz unmarked bottles only. Any other size bottles or bottles with markings will be automatically disqualified and entry fee will not be refunded"?

Do these comps not want quality, appropriately carbed saisons? or do judges just know to expect lower levels of carbonation? What's the deal? Let's face it, the carbonation affects the appearance, mouthfeel and flavor of a beer, affecting your score in three categories. Honestly, it could affect aroma as there aren't as many of those little guys bubbling up to the surface carrying that beautiful aroma with them...

Does anybody know of any pressure-resistant unmarked bottles for this purpose.

I'm not sure of it matters, but I keg and bottle-condition my saisons, so I'm open to any number of methods.

How do you guys bottle a saison for a competition that requires "12 oz unmarked bottles only. Any other size bottles or bottles with markings will be automatically disqualified and entry fee will not be refunded"?

I put them in 12 oz unmarked bottles. Next? Most of the thicker ones will hold 3+ volumes of CO2, no problem.

Go buy an Affligem Blonde six pack. Those bottles are thicker than you average bottle and can probably handle more pressure. Also the labels come off with just a hot water soak. You could also try Duvel bottles. Not longnecks, but worth a shot.

Huh? Do you keg?

Sorry. I was saying I do both. I like bottle conditioned saisons, but I also keg half the batch to have some for small quantity disposal.

A standard beer bottle is good to about 4 volumes. How high do you carb your saisons?

Everything I've ever heard/read says don't go over 3. I like mine at a theoretical 3.75.

I put them in 12 oz unmarked bottles. Next? Most of the thicker ones will hold 3+ volumes of CO2, no problem.

Again, I've always heard contrary.

Go buy an Affligem Blonde six pack. Those bottles are thicker than you average bottle and can probably handle more pressure. Also the labels come off with just a hot water soak. You could also try Duvel bottles. Not longnecks, but worth a shot.

Are Affligen 12 oz or 11.2. Most of the belgian bottles that would be sufficient are 11.2 oz. If they are 12 oz., then that's exactly what I was looking for. (as long as they have no raised letters, which a high number of belgians do also)

Latest posts

Back