Using Spent Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RynoSmail

Reaction score
Now I know there is a list nearly endless on what you can you your spent grain for: Bread, cookies, dog treats, chicken feed, whatever.
But, what is the best way to prepare that grain from Mash Tun to baking pan? Does the grain need to be dried and if so what have been the best used methods? Do you turn your grain to a "flour" or leave it as is?
Again, I'm not really looking for recipes (although I'll take 'em), but more of the process to make grain usable. Any ideas are appreciated

If you want to dry the grains out, the way that I've done it is just to preheat my oven as low as it goes and let it sit there for 5-10 minutes as you spread the grains out on baking pans. Then turn the oven off completely and pop the pans in the oven, leave them there over night. Worked for me. I then just crushed lightly and added it to regular whole wheat flour.

I definitely wouldn't recommend drying the grains unless it's necessary. Seems like a ton of work, when you don't need to do anything for most of the mentioned items (except flour).

I typically just scoop the grains out of my cooler MT and bag in gallon ziplocs and freeze until ready to use.

I usually gather 3 bags from the top, trying to leave the last bit of wetter grain at the bottom and discard that. I find it quite wet for baking and a single gallon bag gets me 2 loaves of bread and a big batch of dog treats.

For bread I use the food processor and pulse it to break it down a bit. I don't mind the whole grain, but others in the house like a little finer texture. The dog treat bound grain gets no treatment, and my boxer loves them!

I've wondered about making flour too, I use a corona mill and could probably dial it down and run dried grain through but I've yet to try.

Has anyone else?

BTW, I measured the quantity called for in the recipe last time after I processed and the bread was a bit dense. Before that I measured before processing and the bread was lighter in texture. IDK if that was the reason for density or not, but thought I'd share.

Back