wlp299

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Just got an email from austin home brew and they've got three "new" yeasts that they are selling from white labs. apparently only available through them. One caught my eye, the wlp299, columbia ale yeast. it says its fruitier than 001 with peach/apricot notes and a little lower attenuation. Thought it might be good for a nice simple APA, adding a little different flavor. Anyone have any knowledge of this strain? Is it new? really developed for AHS? or is it from a brewery and AHS struck a deal to be able to sell it?

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting. There's a English blend that looks cool too. I'll try them both soonish.

No customers have tried it yet. It will be available this Friday. You should try it.

Forrest

I am going to brew an APA with it this Sunday (4/1) I had the same thoughts you did so I grabbed a vial while I was in Austin. I'm making some beers for a trip in July, so I can post results then if no one beats me to it.

How did this come out? I ended up pitching it into an APA i made this weekend, so won't have any info for 3 weeks or so.

I think it's a pretty decent yeast. I don't think I fermented it warm enough so I don't get any of the fruity esters they mentioned. I've used it for an apa and a blonde ale. Now that my basement is a little warmer I might try a batch of a pale ale or something using this yeast and ferment in the low 70s instead of 65 that I fermented it last time

Back