Slower Carb with High ABV beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerbeev

Reaction score
Recently bottled a decently high OG IPA (1.074 OG and 1.018 FG). Should come out to 7-7.5% ABV. I'm just curious, will this beer take longer to carbonate due to the higher alcohol content (at least higher than my previous IPAs)? It was bottled with 5 oz dextrose 12 days ago and the first tester had almost no carbonation. There was a small hiss when the bottle was cracked open.

Thanks!

For higher gravity/alcohol brews I usually expect to put a couple month's age on them in the bottle before drinking. In the bottle flavors meld, some will mute and others will come to the fore. In a higher gravity beer there are more of these, so it takes longer--how long, depends on the brew, and the temperature of storage.

I haven't bottled anything above 7%, but I've not found any difference between carbonating a 2.5% and a 6.4% in general.

Seasonal variations in my storage area sometimes change it by a day or 2, also the amount of carbonation I'm aiming for will change the wait - my light is only carbonated to 1.3 - 1.5 where my IPA is 2.1 - 2.5

If its been bottled more than 10 days maybe a change of location for a slightly warmer temperature to try and kick it out.

If its still undercharged and you bulk primed then take care with every bottle you open! I had one batch that didn't mix the priming sugar in properly and half were flat and the other half were like a Mentos in Diet Coke!

Well I think just to help it out I'll move it upstairs from about 65F storage to 70F. I'm going to be building a kegerator setup soon and I'm looking forward to not having to wait so long to drink my beer! Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back