Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
What are people's experience with this yeast?

I have read it is a bit slower, so just curious. I'm going to be making a Maibock this weekend and using it in there.

It's one of the workhorse lager strains. If you are making a lager don't worry about "slow." The process should be slow.

Be sure to put careful attention into your Maibock recipe, pitch copious amounts of yeast, and ferment it as cool as you dare.

Good luck!

osagedr said:
It's one of the workhorse lager strains. If you are making a lager don't worry about "slow." The process should be slow.

Be sure to put careful attention into your Maibock recipe, pitch copious amounts of yeast, and ferment it as cool as you dare.

Good luck!

I think I have a pretty traditional recipe. Pilsner and Munich malt. I'm going to do a double decoction (I love decoction mashing) and ferment at 48°.

I am doing a 2 stage starter and it should result in 1.63M cells/mL/°P (423 billion cells) which is a little higher than recommended.

I think I have a pretty traditional recipe. Pilsner and Munich malt. I'm going to do a double decoction (I love decoction mashing) and ferment at 48°.

I am doing a 2 stage starter and it should result in 1.63M cells/mL/°P (423 billion cells) which is a little higher than recommended.

Sounds awesome. Decoctions rock and I like your pitching rate & ferm temp.

osagedr said:
Sounds awesome. Decoctions rock and I like your pitching rate & ferm temp.

Thanks.

This weekend will be a bunch of firsts. I'm brewing my first lagers (Maibock and Pilsner using 2124), using my fermentation fridge and fermenting in corny kegs. Should be a fun round!!

Even better--I love 2124! Don't think I've used it in a Pils but if I had to pick a single lager strain that would be it.

The Pils I'm trying to recreate is Rothaus which is a little more in the malty side, so hopefully I keep the bitterness with a little more malt character

Back