Yeast addition with warm wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi it was 9:30pm I was tired, didnt have any ice or coil so I was cooling wort inside the carboy rinsing tap water on the outside of carboy.,It wasnt super hot, I could touch it with my forehand and feel a little hot but not burning so I got tired and add a wyeast german ale inside the carboy. I noticed a few bubbles when it went inside the wort. Now im,super scared. Did I kill the yeast? It has been 30 hours should I add more yeast?? Somebody help!!!

Is there activity now, anything visible, did you take a gravity reading?

Ok first thing...never add yeast to warm wort...it is far better to wait longer if needed than pitch yeast into hot wort.

Signs of fermentation can take up to 36 hrs to be noticeable...If you have a pack of dry yeast go ahead and add it to the fermenter.

no nothing visible, can I add more liquid yeast even if isnt the exact .strain? the wort cooled with a hose but it finally cooled at room temp will that spoil it?

heres how it is picture attached, I added a wyeast of american ale after that

ForumRunner_20120920_180131.jpg

theres a few bubbles on the surface but nothing fierce so I added the american ale, the smell was like very yeasty, its been less than two days so I guess is normal right?

Back