Cinnamon in the beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a cinnamon braggot (50/50 malt/honey mix) with two sticks of cinnamon in the last 10 minutes of the boil. That worked pretty well, giving a subtle flavor contribution. Tasters didn't immediately shout cinnamon, but could tell it was there once they knew to look for it.

Another time I put quarter of a stick in an amber ale, which was very subtle (almost subliminal).

It's a pretty sweet flavor, so I would use it in maltier beers, and nothing too hoppy.

who has never used cinnamon in beer? and with what results?
thank's

I for one, have never used cinnamon in beer. The result has always been that my beer does not have the taste of cinnamon. I've found it to be a very reliable and safe way of not having cinnamon flavors in beer, though others may have alternative methods as well.

I used cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg in a beer... tasted wonderful. You can probably get a lot of direction on ammounts by looking at holiday ales, they generally contain cinnamon for flavoring.

I do a spice ale that has cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves in varying amounts. I usually grind up whatever spice I am going to use and add it in the secondary. I sort of feel like I want to feature the spices in this recipe, so I wait until there is no troub to absorb flavor and no fermentation to outgas aroma. One ground up stick of cinnamon goes a long way, although I like to go with 2 for my spice beer. Slightly off topic... The last time I did this, I figured I'd just add the ground spices to the keg. The spices ended up jamming the outflow tube/poppit and I spent a lot of time over the next couple weeks dismantling and cleaning the posts so I could get beer out. Lesson learned, stick with a secondary.

I've used cinnamon in the last 15m of the boil as a spice and I have included it at the beginning of the boil (ala Charlie) to prevent oxidation on a stuck sparge nightmare brew. Did it prevent oxidation? Who knows...none showed up in the samples but who's to say it would have otherwise?

a stick of cinnamon are approximately how many grams?
how many liters can 'fit?

SWMBO got me a Holiday Ale kit for xmas...
it's got a bit of spice in it

(2) 3.3 lbs moutons LME cans
2 lbs. light dry malt extract
1 lb. 8 oz. crystal 80L
4 oz. chocolate malt
2 oz. Black Patent

1.5 oz. Target 8.0 AA @ 75min.
1 oz. Willamette @ 15 min.

1 oz. dry orange peal @ 15 min.
1 tsp. Cinnamon @ 15 min.
1 tsp. Cardamom seed @ 15 min.
1/2 tsp. Ginger root @ 15 min.

nothingham dry yeast

it's in primary now but i've got good hopes for it!

SWMBO got me a Holiday Ale kit for xmas...
it's got a bit of spice in it

(2) 3.3 lbs moutons LME cans
2 lbs. light dry malt extract
1 lb. 8 oz. crystal 80L
4 oz. chocolate malt
2 oz. Black Patent

1.5 oz. Target 8.0 AA @ 75min.
1 oz. Willamette @ 15 min.

1 oz. dry orange peal @ 15 min.
1 tsp. Cinnamon @ 15 min.
1 tsp. Cardamom seed @ 15 min.
1/2 tsp. Ginger root @ 15 min.

nothingham dry yeast

it's in primary now but i've got good hopes for it!

thank's
for how many liters or gallons ?
1 Tsp = 5 grammi ? about

I have spiced ale; Didn't boil any in with the wort, but have cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg in primary, adding a little more in secondary then as well (only 1/2oz-1oz each time)...

My recipe called for boiling the spices for about 10 minutes... the beer is phenominal! Non beer drinkers even joined a few this year!

No one is answering it because it doesn't make sense. What exactly are you asking?

If it's the weight of a cinnamon stick you're asking about, well, they vary in weight because they're strips of bark. As for how much to use in a particular volume (I think that's what you're asking, is how many sticks to use in a batch) there's no real formula for that. I would just start with one and let it soak, and then if you want it to get stronger go from there.

Back