Apple pie beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So since we're heading into apple season I thought it would be fun to experiment with an apple pie recipe. It's done with pumpkin so why not apples? I want it to be the same idea as the pumpkin where the spices are more dominant than the actual fruit flavor. I was thinking of baking the apples first with cinnamon and brown sugar and other spices first then adding it to the mash and adding spices to the boil. I know ill have to use pectin enzyme but does anyone have any better suggestions?

Sounds interesting. Might be a good one for a American wheat. I might even give it a try too. Gonna do some research and see what I can find out.

I brew with apples every year, you won't need pectin if you have access to a lagering fridge and a little bit of time (1-2 months to clear). Depending on what kind of an apple/spice profile you are looking for, I would recommend adding the apples to secondary if you are looking for a cidery taste to complement or at the very very end of fermentation (bottling/kegging addition or tertiary fermentation) if you want the apple to dominate. They are great in almost every style, just play around a bit.

Right now I'm working on my annual Apple Honey Pale Ale for Christmas, but I want to make an Apple Porter later this year.

Good luck!

I don't want the apple flavor to be really strong and over powering but I do want it to be present. I'm afraid if I put them in secondary it will be very fruity. Will I lose the flavor all together if I mash it?

I don't want the apple flavor to be really strong and over powering but I do want it to be present. I'm afraid if I put them in secondary it will be very fruity. Will I lose the flavor all together if I mash it?

There won't be a problem adding to the mash, but you might research apple varieties (cider making) and how to balance the flavor to what you want out of the beer.

We do an Apple Pie ale every winter. A simple light ale recipe with apple cider and apple pie spices. It's a big hit.

Just googled and found a Roasted Apple Barleywine, sounds incredible.

If your beer turns out well, please share the recipe!

A Snakebite pre-made?!

I'm going to go for it. Probably wont get around to it till next week though since I'm brewing up an imperial pumpkin pie ale this week

Back