help w/ extra MrBeer recipe and random ingredients lying around...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
So I have a mr beer west coast pale ale can along with the booster that came with it, but I am not a fan of this west coast pale ale, I have had it before and it seemed weak and flavorless.

Currently I have a half pound of flaked barley, a half pound of roasted black barley, .4 oz of hallertau hops, and a couple grams of cascade hops. (I also have honey/ brown sugar)

Is there anything I can do with what I have and possibly some fruit to make a different beer?

I am thinking about grabbing a 16 oz can of pumpkin puree to boil with the .2 oz of hallertau for 30, after steeping 4 oz of the roasted barley. I would add the hme and boostr right after the boil.

Does this sound reasonable?

Steep 6oz's of the roasted, 8oz's of the flaked barley for 30-40 @ 160*. People will disagree but when I do extract and steep I will steep for an hour @ 154*. Anyhow add your extracts, 1-1.5lbs of honey and 6-8oz's of brown sugar, get it to a roll and dump 1oz-1.5oz of the hallertau's in. Boil for 45 minutes and throw the cascades in. Boil for 15 minutes, cool and pitch a neutral yeast. If you can come along some Carapils or Crystal, I would steep at least 1/2lb as well. I hope this works for ya.

Not really. It's like cooking by grabbing one item off every shelf in the fridge...

What kind of beer do you like? Find a recipe for it, or something similar, and make it. Almost any recipe on this site can be cut in half for making in a Mr Beer keg - that's what I did for my first several batches, and it worked fine. If it turns out you can use some of what you have on hand, good. If not, don't.

There really isn't a good way of using that booster, IMO. It's a way of making low-flavor beer. Toss it.

Thanks for the responses! I started to split all grain 5 gallon batches in half to fit my mr beer. I am just looking for a way to make this last 2 gallons of mr beer taste better than it would if possible with the leftovers I have.

I would be okay with not using the booster if I can make a full beer without it.

Back