Cider experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabol

Reaction score
Hi,
My first cider and my first post, though I have been following the forum for some time.

I got 30L (approx 7 gallons?) of freshly pressed apple juice 2 weeks ago.
I let it ferment on its wild yeast for approx a week, before I could manage to go to a shop and by some Nottingham yeast and hydrometer.

My first reading read 1.030 (after having fermented for 1 week). I decided to bump the cider up a bit and added approx 5 pounds of normal white sugar. I also pitched the Nottingham yeast straight in to the solution. The reading 3 days later was 1.041, and its both smelling and bubbling away nicely.

So here are my two questions.

1. How will the wild yeast and Nottingham interact? Is there any reason to believe that one string will take over? and in that case which one?
I have no reason to believe that the wild yeast is bad, I'm just curious. The guy I bought the juice from is a cider brewer here in Norway, and he recommended I let the cider ferment on the wild yeast.

2. I added the sugar straight into the fermentation keg/jar. Is that a problem? Do I risk having a lot of unfermented sugar in the bottom of the cider? And if so, should I shake/stir the cider while fermentation is still ongoing and not too much alcohol has yet formed?

Replies are much appreciated

How do you know the wild yeast had taken off? Did you have bubbles through the airlock? Why do you want to use Notty if the cider guy told you to spontaneous ferment? The theory is that the yeast find search and destroy the sugar you dumped in, but I like to remove the airlock, install a nondrilled bung, lay the carboy on its side and jostle it back and forth. Be careful-- the fermentation will build pressure during this rolling, and will release gas and spray when you remove the bung. You should get flavor contributions from both yeast strains. Let us know how it turns out.

I don't have much experience with wild yeast...have my 1st 5 gal batch fermenting now. Normally when you pitch a commercial yeast in a fresh juice it will overpower any wild yeasts. Since your wild yeast has a head start, hard to tell what may happen. Bound to be good and tasty though.

Thanks,
The wild yeast bubbled nicely so it was definitely active when I added the Nottingham. The smell is fresh so it seems its working fine for now, though it will be hard to repeat the same result if good. Added it mostly after having read the fine reviews of it on the forum.

My worry is that dead yeast somehow covers any undissolved sugar in the bottom, and that the active yeast does not find the sugar? Is that even a risk?
What do you think about just stirring the cider instead of rolling it? Will that add more or less oxygen to the cider given closed carboy vs open carboy?

Back