adding dry hops after carbonating keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
i didn't get the hop aroma i wanted. i am new to kegging. this is the 1st keg i have done. it's a black ipa.

can i open lid...add hops....close and repressurize???

Yes, but you have to be careful. If the beer is already carbonated, adding pellet hops in a bag will cause it to foam excessively. Bag it up with some sanitzed marbles and drop it in. Then close it up fast.

I've done it. As Cbaddad mentioned, do it as fast as possible before it foams up.

One thing I will say is dry hopping in a carbonated keg (especially if it's cold) will take a while before you notice the difference. When I've done it I noticed as much as 1-2 weeks before I got any change in aroma/flavor.

I thought about doing that before but then I read somewhere on here about using hop pellets in a french press to make a "hop tea" and I think it turned out amazing.

I thought about doing that before but then I read somewhere on here about using hop pellets in a french press to make a "hop tea" and I think it turned out amazing.

That does work, but you don't get anywhere near the same intensity of aroma or flavor as you do with adding the hops directly to the beer.

That does work, but you don't get anywhere near the same intensity of aroma or flavor as you do with adding the hops directly to the beer.

I've only done it once and 1 ounce of Simcoe "hop tea" into 4 gallons completely changed the beer. It added enough intensity and aroma to a kinda plain and boring IPA, so I could only imagine what adding it to the beer would have done.

Latest posts

Back