Angry Orchard Iceman - Freezing technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda

Reaction score
I am a newbie to hard cider making and have been playing around with flavors for the last 6 months or so. This forum has been a great help in my experiments. When I saw this technique I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone has has tried it and could comment.

http://beerpulse.com/2013/04/angry-orchard-iceman-and-strawman-hard-cider-go-national-this-week-215/
Iceman is made by freezing apple juice prior to fermentation, resulting in concentrated sugars and deeper, richer flavors.

I think I might try this in my next round. How much water, do you think, needs to be removed to get a good effect?

Didn't read the article so forgive my laziness, but isn't frozen apple juice concentrate (FAJC) made by freeze concentration? I used FAJC to boost the gravity of my last cider I made with Tree Top apple juice. Turned out great. And it's a heck if a lot easier to buy it than make it.

It just ice cider. Ice cider is done by a few people in my part of the country.
I posted a question a while ago and got an exclent answer.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/making-apple-concentrate-347175/
I'm actually going to try ice cider with Whitney Crabs. Alone they make horrible cider because the lack sugar (but have incredible taste), but I'm curious what they would taste like as ice cider. Probably a failure but worth a shot.

Was actually they may make amazing cider. Usually those fruits that are tart require more sugar added but make better fermentated drinks... there is a reason why we done eat wine grapes at the table.

sashurlow,

Thanks! Your link to making concentrate for ice cider looks interesting. I am going to have to try that.

Linda, have you thought about making Apple Jack as well? It's super easy, and apple schnaps is pretty tasty too.

Latest posts

Back