Why Not - One More 1st AG Thread :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
Yes, yesterday I finally used my converted mash-tun and keggle. The only issue I ran into was that the stainless braids were WAY too fine/tight and wouldn't allow the mash-tun and keg to drain. They weren't really "clogged" up, but just too tight a braid to drain.

I tested them the night before with water and it went fine, but the extra sugars, grains, etc were too thick! So I had to auto-siphon from my mash-tun, through the screen on the funnel, into the keggle. Then after boiling, I had to do similar but ended up pouring most of it into the carboy. I don't know why I decided to put the braid in the keggle, other than hoping to keep some of that trub out of the primary. Oh well, lesson learned. So this week I'll replace those braids with some looser braids or just figure out how to get these to work.

My temperature in the mash-tun was PERFECT (155*F over an hour, did not lose a single degree). I did one stir at 30 minutes and it still didn't vary by enough for the digital probe to detect it!

My efficiency ended up being 72% (estimated 65%)!! :mug:

It was a Fat Tire recipe for anyone curious.

Next weekend I'm thinking of brewing Orfy's Hobgoblin Clone :mug:

Instead of wasting more money on another braid, you may want to make a manifold. All you need is some copper or CPVC.

There's got to be at least 30 or so active members using stainless braids in their MLTs (myself included) that don't have a problem. I'd be willing to bet you didn't use stainless and ended up with the home depot plastic "stainless looking" braid. Then again, did your recipe have any wheat in it?

My first try at buying this stuff I got the plastic stuff from Home Depot....this time was definitely stainless (the cuts all over my hands bear proof). No wheat in the recipe. Straight up, the braid was too tightly woven. I'll try a different braid....I don't really wanna mess with the manifold setup.

My SS braid runs fast, if you let it. My last batch had 6 lbs of wheat and had no problems.

INeedANewHobby said:
My first try at buying this stuff I got the plastic stuff from Home Depot....this time was definitely stainless (the cuts all over my hands bear proof). No wheat in the recipe. Straight up, the braid was too tightly woven. I'll try a different braid....I don't really wanna mess with the manifold setup.
Any way to just loosen it up a little?

I wasn't able to get it to lossen any.....so I just now ordered a 9" false bottom :)

I'll just take the braided line off the keggle....the break material and hop sludge has never hurt my beer before :mug:

Back